Gordon

Default American 22

Saw this American 22 sailboat FS cheap, along the highway yesterday. It's
a mid 70's model. Anyone ever heard of an American?
It has a pedestal or marquise shaped keel. Wide and pointy on both ends
with a flair to the bottom edge. Flat on the bottom,
Wouldn't this hinder sailing performance? Why is it made this way?
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Alan S

"Gordon" wrote in message

Saw this American 22 sailboat FS cheap, along the highway yesterday. It's
a mid 70's model. Anyone ever heard of an American?
It has a pedestal or marquise shaped keel. Wide and pointy on both ends
with a flair to the bottom edge. Flat on the bottom,
Wouldn't this hinder sailing performance? Why is it made this way?
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Is this it? http://www2.netdoor.com/~weaton/na23.html If it is then it is
either a North American or a Spirit which were made by molds from the the
North American Yacht Company. I have a history page on Spirit sailboats on
my Spirit 28 web site he http://www.spirit28.com/History.html . The North
Americans are often referred to as "Americans" though to my knowledge they
made a 23 and not a 22 so if that is the boat it is likely mismarked. Do you
have any pictures?

- A -