RM

Default Drive on one engine cutting out

I have a 1985 32' Chris craft stinger with twin 454's. The starboard engine
has been acting up lately. If I give it throttle it starts to go then the
right engine will rev higher, the prop sounds like its cavitating, the
engine sync gauge swings way over to the right and the boat starts veering
to the right. Basically I am losing propulsion from that side and the engine
is unloaded. When I back the throttle down it "catches" and starts moving
straight, sync needle swings back over, etc. If it was a car I would say the
clutch is slipping but I am not sure if there are clutch packs in a boat
tranny, never worked on one. If I speed up real slow with the port engine
taking most of the load I can eventually get up to speed, but it still will
cut out for a second or two randomly. We ran over a crab trap a couple
months back but I dont know if that messed it up or not. It was on the
starboard prop and I had to cut it away to get it off, it was wrapped up
pretty good. If more details are needed please let me know. i could get
video of the gauges and sounds if that will help.

trainfan1

RM wrote:
[...]

There are clutches. Have the transmission checked, check your prop &
key/keyway, and the shaft coupling at the flange. Something is slipping
among those items.

Rob
JamesgangNC

Depending on your drive system there can be clutches involved. Just about
all inboard + lots of i/o drives except for merc alphas have some sort of
clutch system to engage forward and reverse. There are also rubber
couplings that can exhibit the same behavior when they have slipped. What
is between your 454's and the props?

"RM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

RM

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...
Depending on your drive system there can be clutches involved. Just about
all inboard + lots of i/o drives except for merc alphas have some sort of
clutch system to engage forward and reverse. There are also rubber
couplings that can exhibit the same behavior when they have slipped. What
is between your 454's and the props?

I think they are alphas, I will go to the marina in a couple of days and
check.

trainfan1

RM wrote:
"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...

Depending on your drive system there can be clutches involved. Just about
all inboard + lots of i/o drives except for merc alphas have some sort of
clutch system to engage forward and reverse. There are also rubber
couplings that can exhibit the same behavior when they have slipped. What
is between your 454's and the props?

I think they are alphas, I will go to the marina in a couple of days and
check.

There you go... now that we know they are outdrives, it seems you have
a spun prop hub. Change the right prop and you are back in business. A
prop shop will be able to re-hub your old prop. It could be that the
drive coupler is slipping, but try the prop first.

Rob

JIMinFL

Try switching props between engines if you don't have a reverse rotating
stern drive. (most aren't)
Look for a telltale deposit of rubber powder and a foul odor near the
engine coupler.
JIMinFL

"trainfan1" wrote in message
RM wrote:
"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...

Depending on your drive system there can be clutches involved. Just
about
all inboard + lots of i/o drives except for merc alphas have some sort of
clutch system to engage forward and reverse. There are also rubber
couplings that can exhibit the same behavior when they have slipped.
What
is between your 454's and the props?

I think they are alphas, I will go to the marina in a couple of days and
check.

There you go... now that we know they are outdrives, it seems you have a
spun prop hub. Change the right prop and you are back in business. A
prop shop will be able to re-hub your old prop. It could be that the
drive coupler is slipping, but try the prop first.

Rob

JamesgangNC

While not unheard of alphas are not commonly found on 454's. They don't
hold up to big block torque well on a big boat. But with twins the stress
would be less so maybe. If they are alphas then it's either the rubber hub
in the prop or the rubber coupling hub on the engine flywheel. Everything
inside alphas is metal to metal, no clutches. Hope for the prop hub cause
usually the engine has to be pulled to replace the coupling hub on the
flywheel.

"RM" wrote in message

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
link.net...
Depending on your drive system there can be clutches involved. Just
about
all inboard + lots of i/o drives except for merc alphas have some sort of
clutch system to engage forward and reverse. There are also rubber
couplings that can exhibit the same behavior when they have slipped.
What
is between your 454's and the props?

I think they are alphas, I will go to the marina in a couple of days and
check.

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:59:43 GMT, "RM" wrote:

[...]

Start with the basics: take the prop off, check the drive shaft to
prop area and reconnect, snuggly. If you are lucky, this can be
the problem

Brian W
trainfan1

Brian Whatcott wrote:
[...]

It's pretty obvoius, though, if the keywat is compromised, or the key is
missing on an inboard.

And stop calling him Snuggly.

Rob
RM

Start with the basics: take the prop off, check the drive shaft to
prop area and reconnect, snuggly. If you are lucky, this can be
the problem

Brian W

It's pretty obvoius, though, if the keywat is compromised, or the key is
missing on an inboard.

And stop calling him Snuggly.

Rob

Help me fix it and he can call me any damn thing he wants!

Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Fuel transfer/polishing pump Doug Dotson Cruising 408 February 2nd 04 11:58 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM