Rural Knight

Default 20 hour maintenance - joke?

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
I just got the boat back from it's 20 hour maintenance that the dealer
suggested I take in to them to ensure it's done properly. Stupidly, I
didn't ask enough questions at the time. It seems to me that all they
did was change the crankcase oil and gear lube and then, according to
the service guy, checked the trailer, gauges, etc. Everything apart
from changes those two fluids seems to have been a visual inspection.
For under $20 in parts and over $170 in labor, it seems to be a huge
scam. I could have easily changed those fluids myself. Next time
I'll know better. Next step... winterizing. Who should do it?
Thanks!

As Peggie said in another post, it's worth it for a couple of reasons
- the main one is if they miss something, it's their fault. Just keep the
paperwork available. I have personal experience with this - the local
dealership lost his boat/engine dealership after I finished with him about
five years ago - everything was documented and when he refused to
fix the problem, I went the manufacturer who fell all over themselves
to get the problems (original and resulting) fixed.

Having said that, $170 in labor seems a little high for that kind of
service. How many hours did they charge you for? It shouldn't
have taken a trained mechanic more than an hour for that and
$170 seems way high. I'd go back to the Service Manager and
make him explain, step-by-step, how long it took to do each of the
things listed on the repair order. Guarantee you, the service time
will be adjusted in your favor. Mention something like, "I spoke
to the (your state) AG's Consumer Affairs division and they
said to ask you to explain......"

As to winterizing, have the dealer do it, but get a firm price for
it ahead of time with a detailed list of what is going to be done or
what you want done. I don't know what kind of boat you have,
but my FICHT, new plugs, filters, gearcase and fogging with
Sta-bil for a 60 gallon tank in the Ranger cost me under $200.
The Mercs I haven't had done yet, but I should expect about
double that.

I live in Connecticut if that helps you any.

Later,

Tom

Peggie Hall

With labor rates running $70-85/hr (depending on where you live), $170
doesn't sound unreasonable...that's less than 3 hours.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Rural Knight wrote:
"werlax" wrote in message
[...]

Woodchuck

If you did the service yourself, would you of known when something didn't
look right or needed an adjustment. As for the winter thing, I'm you will do
just fine doing it yourself especially if you have many under you belt.

ink.net...

Rural Knight wrote:
"werlax" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Barker

PS, you'll find that anyone who supports the dealer doing this is either a.
RICH or b. in the business.

--
Steve =======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
"werlax" wrote in message
om...
I just got the boat back from it's 20 hour maintenance that the dealer
suggested I take in to them to ensure it's done properly. Stupidly, I
didn't ask enough questions at the time. It seems to me that all they
did was change the crankcase oil and gear lube and then, according to
the service guy, checked the trailer, gauges, etc. Everything apart
from changes those two fluids seems to have been a visual inspection.
For under $20 in parts and over $170 in labor, it seems to be a huge
scam. I could have easily changed those fluids myself. Next time
I'll know better. Next step... winterizing. Who should do it?
Thanks!

Tony Thomas

Please tell us exactly what kind of boat and motor you have. This will
help.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Kelton Joyner" wrote in message
. ..
What's winterizing?

werlax wrote:
I just got the boat back from it's 20 hour maintenance that the dealer
suggested I take in to them to ensure it's done properly. Stupidly, I
didn't ask enough questions at the time. It seems to me that all they
did was change the crankcase oil and gear lube and then, according to
the service guy, checked the trailer, gauges, etc. Everything apart
from changes those two fluids seems to have been a visual inspection.
For under $20 in parts and over $170 in labor, it seems to be a huge
scam. I could have easily changed those fluids myself. Next time
I'll know better. Next step... winterizing. Who should do it?
Thanks!

Harry Krause

Bill Andersen wrote:

I'm not rich or in the business but I do take my boat to the dealer for a
100 hour service each year.
There's more to it than changing the oil and filter. They check alignment,
cylinder compression, remove the prop to be sure there's no fishing line
wrapped up in the hub, and on, and on.
For those of us who don't want to buy all the tools and become mechanics,
it's worth the dealer's labor charges to have someone else check out the
boat. I just want to drive it.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
I just got the boat back from it's 20 hour maintenance that the dealer
suggested I take in to them to ensure it's done properly. Stupidly, I
didn't ask enough questions at the time. It seems to me that all they
did was change the crankcase oil and gear lube and then, according to
the service guy, checked the trailer, gauges, etc. Everything apart
from changes those two fluids seems to have been a visual inspection.
For under $20 in parts and over $170 in labor, it seems to be a huge
scam. I could have easily changed those fluids myself. Next time
I'll know better. Next step... winterizing. Who should do it?
Thanks!

A new, high-horsepower outboard sells from $10,000 to $14,000 and more.
Spending a few hundred dollars on it once or twice a season seems
perfectly rational.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Ronald A. Widman

The 20 hr checkup includes such items as checking the alignment between the
engine and outdrive (if so equipped), checking and adjusting steering and
shift cables (which stretch when new), and checking any warranty issues.
Remember that the labor rate is not what the mechanic gets, it includes
overhead such as rent, administrative labor, utilities, advertising, etc.
The visual inspection by a factory trained mechanic is a lot different from
you or me looking at something. Nobody ever said boating was cheap!

Ron

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
I just got the boat back from it's 20 hour maintenance that the dealer
suggested I take in to them to ensure it's done properly. Stupidly, I
didn't ask enough questions at the time. It seems to me that all they
did was change the crankcase oil and gear lube and then, according to
the service guy, checked the trailer, gauges, etc. Everything apart
from changes those two fluids seems to have been a visual inspection.
For under $20 in parts and over $170 in labor, it seems to be a huge
scam. I could have easily changed those fluids myself. Next time
I'll know better. Next step... winterizing. Who should do it?
Thanks!

Glenn S.

We just bought a new Baja 242 this season. One of the things that we had
the dealer add as part of the deal was the 20 hour service. Your list
sounds about right for what they did with our boat but it didn't cost us a
dime.

gds