Eisboch

Default Stupid, but lucky

A couple of people I know (work for a construction company doing some work
at our house) decided to do some after hours fishing and drinking in our
town bay. Unfortunately, it appears they did more drinking than fishing and
the driver of the boat started screwing around, doing doughnuts in the
water. The boat eventually hit a bridge piling, flipped over and came down
on top of both of them.

One of the guys (who can't swim) managed to get out from under the Whaler
and held onto the side of the hull. Turns out he had two broken ribs and a
severe gash running down one leg and on his forehead. Barely conscious, he
looked around for his fishing/drinking partner and, after a minute or so,
saw a leg sticking out from under the overturned boat. Somehow he managed to
pull the other guy out, who was unconscious and bleeding heavily from a head
injury, and punched him in the belly, causing his friend to expel the water
and start breathing again.

They were rescued by the town fire department, transported to the hospital
by the EMT's, followed closely behind by the MA Environmental Police for
booking.

They will probably both lose their driver's licenses, be billed for the
damaged piling and, if the fuel tank in the boat leaked, be hit with an
environmental cleanup fine.

Both will survive, but will probably be financially broke for a long, long
time.

Eisboch

Dave Hall

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:19:03 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

SNIP of a story of stupid people

They were rescued by the town fire department, transported to the hospital
by the EMT's, followed closely behind by the MA Environmental Police for
booking.

"Environmental Police" - what a truly scary concept. We now need
separate police for the environment? The regular police just pollute
too much or something?

The Other Dave Hall

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw
DSK

Dave Hall wrote:
"Environmental Police" - what a truly scary concept.

Why? Do you like polluted air & poisoned water?

... We now need
separate police for the environment? The regular police just pollute
too much or something?

The scary thing is that the environmental protection laws are being
applied vigorously to individuals but industries that dump toxic gunk
into public waterways get a free pass. I work on combustion controls for
power plants and can tell you for a fact that the pollution controls on
the big plants is being neglected, too.

DSK

Doug Kanter

wrote:

SNIP of a story of stupid people

They were rescued by the town fire department, transported to the hospital
by the EMT's, followed closely behind by the MA Environmental Police for
booking.

"Environmental Police" - what a truly scary concept. We now need
separate police for the environment? The regular police just pollute
too much or something?

The Other Dave Hall

When have you ever met a regular cop with a degree in environmental science,
chemistry, biology, etc?

DSK

Eisboch wrote:
A couple of people I know (work for a construction company doing some work
at our house) decided to do some after hours fishing and drinking in our
town bay. Unfortunately, it appears they did more drinking than fishing and
the driver of the boat started screwing around, doing doughnuts in the
water. The boat eventually hit a bridge piling, flipped over and came down
on top of both of them.

It's lucky that they didn't run over somebody else.

[...]

It's a shame there no implantable chip that would prevent people from
operating any motor vehicle. Some people are just too damn dumb and/or
erratic in behavior to be trusted with driving a car or a motorboat.

Fair Skies
Doug King

NOYB

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Somehow he managed to
pull the other guy out, who was unconscious and bleeding heavily from a
head
injury, and punched him in the belly, causing his friend to expel the
water
and start breathing again

He didn't hit him to save him. He hit him for being a dumbass and slamming
into the bridge piling.

Eisboch

NOYB wrote in message
news

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Somehow he managed to
pull the other guy out, who was unconscious and bleeding heavily from a
head
injury, and punched him in the belly, causing his friend to expel the
water
and start breathing again

He didn't hit him to save him. He hit him for being a dumbass and

slamming
into the bridge piling.

Could be. Both of them are normally good, hardworking people but they got
stupid. Work hard, play hard, I suppose.

Eisboch

Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® ASA 143 April 11th 05 06:04 AM
OT - Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® General 18 April 4th 05 01:41 PM
OT - Demonstrably Stupid Capt. Neal® Cruising 13 April 3rd 05 02:13 AM
Mystery Beach Photo Contest Horvath ASA 21 October 3rd 03 05:45 PM
Another Boat show Donal ASA 20 September 30th 03 05:53 PM