Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Props - RPM's and Cruising Speed

On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:03:31 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

The secondaries really open because of THROTTLE setting, not RPM, correct? So
how about this: DECREASE your prop pitch. Then you're running at a higher rpm,
where the engine puts out more power at lower throttle setting. I suspect you'll
be able to get that few more knots to get fully on plane at a lower throttle
setting than with the "steeper" prop.

Worth a try...

I actually thought about adjusting the linkages on the secondaries so
they open at a higher throttle position; so they open, for example, at
3,400 RPM's rather than 3,200. Manifold vacuum may also be a
consideration.

I realize there's no way around inboard gas engines drinking fuel like
a teen at his/her first frat party, but there's a noticable difference
in noise and fuel comsumption when those secondaries open.

Whether going up or down in prop size, going to four blades, or
whatever other options there are, if I could get 24kts out of 3,100
RPM's with these engines, I'd be in very good shape!

3 or 4 blade props? Diver1055 General 50 November 18th 03 08:55 PM
Slow Cruising Speed Question Steve Helling General 10 September 26th 03 09:14 AM