Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

It's happened. Off the coast of New Jersey a 60-footer ran over a fishing
boat and killed one of the men on board, while the owner of the 60-footer
was said to not even be above decks (he claimed he was, but was looking
down "momentarily").

Now THAT is ridiculous. I guess I'm paranoid, but I can't imagine EVER
leaving the helm of a moving boat unless another competent person (or my
insane son) took my place while I was away.

Big Mike

I hear this happens quite often on fishing vessels. That many Captains and
Mates, especially Mates on watch as the Cap catches some zzzz's, fall asleep
themselves while steaming ahead on Auto-pilot. I'm ashamed to say that I
have been drowsy many times behind the wheel of the car. Sometimes I pull
over and sometimes I putt ahead. Many times wondering how I made it to my
destination. I can only imagine how often this happens out in the deep sea
where traffic is next to nothing. No excuse though to take falling asleep
behind the helm for granted or acceptable..... There is always that 1
iceberg that seems to always find the right ship at the right time.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

It's happened. Off the coast of New Jersey a 60-footer ran over a fishing
boat and killed one of the men on board, while the owner of the 60-footer
was said to not even be above decks (he claimed he was, but was looking
down "momentarily").

Now THAT is ridiculous. I guess I'm paranoid, but I can't imagine EVER
leaving the helm of a moving boat unless another competent person (or my
insane son) took my place while I was away.

Garth Almgren

Around 8/25/2005 1:08 PM, Doug Kanter wrote:

Just like water heaters only melt down 3 hours after you've left on
vacation.... :-)

Yeah, any idea why do they do that?

Funny story time:
Because a pipe had cracked and the basement had flooded, my uncle (same
one that had his gas stolen) had new carpeting installed in his basement
courtesy of his homeowners insurance while almost the entire family was
on their annual two-week boat vacation.

Since the house was empty (and having just dried out the flooded
basement) the water heater was very prudently turned off.

So.

My cousin comes home from college for the weekend to take a shower and
wash clothes, and he turns on the water heater. He forgets to turn it
off, and heads over to his girlfriend's for the night. Comes back the
next morning, and the basement (including *two-day-old* carpeting that
his parents haven't even SEEN yet) is covered in about 5 inches of
water, thanks to a failed water heater tank. Being the only relative
nearby with a wet/dry shop vac and some spare time, I was enlisted by my
somewhat frantic cousin to go and help with the mopping up. Uncle made
it home from Friday Harbor in record time, and much swearing (and other
such hilarity) ensued.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing