Big Mike

Default Passing To Close (Water Clowns)

Hi to all.... I'm Mike (Long Island Sound N.Y. - North Side - Very Rocky
Area)

Finally, finally, I figured out a really good reason why boat operators do
this. I could never for the life of me understand why no matter where I
would anchor or drift, a good number of boats will buzz by me only a few
short yards away as if I'm a marker buoy. And the wakes pushed from some of
these monsters is enough to get me dizzy. Even fellow fishing vessels with
the entire ocean to navigate around me, who should know better, would pass
right on top of me. Correction, speed by me as I'm fishing. I can never have
a calm day fishing!!!

My Conclusion: These Clowns figure, if I'm there, it's safe to pass. No
rocks, obstructions or low depths. UNBELIEVABLE! I realized this the other
day and can't believe it took so long to put it together.

Here's what happened. I recently purchased a GPS and marked all of the
rocks, especially the submerged rocks only visible at low tide in this
particular area I planned to fish. A place where BOATS NEVER VENTURE! On the
first day fishing this new marked spot, here they came.... I could not
believe the amount of Clowns that started heading in my direction. Mind
you..., you never see boat in this area because some of the rocks are
visible even at high tide. I swear to God, within 1 hour, a sailboat slammed
one of the rocks next to me. The bang was so loud, I was ready to call in
the MAYDAY for this person myself. When I turned around, both occupants were
getting back to their feet after I guess the force threw them forward and
down on their faces. The keel appears to have caught the rock and stopped
them DEAD!!! I can also now confirm that submerged rocks don't move or
budge. I couldn't even stay and fish the spot any longer because I was
spending more time waving boats away than fishing. I was in fear of someone
DYING!

What a joke. The first thing I did when I purchased my first boat way back
when was to go out at low tide and check out my local waterways for
dangerous spots. I think I purchased every possible chart for the Long
Island Sound N.Y. and made some of my own custom marks on it. I'm not the
brightest light bulb in the box but checking things out first seems like an
obvious thing to do even for absent-minded me.

Aaahhh, I still love this crazy world anyway and everyone in it including
the Psychos. If everyday was a perfect day, I think I would hang myself due
to boredom.

! 23' ReD MaX !

Don White

Big Mike wrote:
[...]

A good reason why every new (or old boater) should be made to pass a
Power Squadron 'Boating Course' before venturing out.

Big Mike wrote:
[...]

I maintain the opinion that a lot of these guys are so busy fiddling
with their computers and electronics they pay no attention at all to
where they're going.

If their chartplotter interfaced with the autopilot is set to follow a
rhumb line from point A to point B, gawd help anybody unlucky enough to
be 15-yards to one side of the course or the other. Many of these
butt-heavy, under powered, prop tunneled monsters don't leave wakes,
they create small tsunamis.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me, while (as the overtaken
vessel) I maintain course and speed and some idiot blows by close
enough to pass the Grey Poupon, is that after overwhelming your vessel
with a steep wake and passing so close that there is insufficient time
to safely adjust course and minimize the impact......almost every one
of these nincompoops smiles and *waves*! Like, "Hello, how are you? My
thoughtless seamanship just stood you on your starboard beam, but
lovely weather we're having, isn't it?"

To reduce my blood pressure, I often think of what it's costing Captain
Clewless
to burn 60 gph gasoline these days. :-)

Big Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...

I maintain the opinion that a lot of these guys are so busy fiddling
with their computers and electronics they pay no attention at all to
where they're going.

If their chartplotter interfaced with the autopilot is set to follow a
rhumb line from point A to point B, gawd help anybody unlucky enough to
be 15-yards to one side of the course or the other. Many of these
butt-heavy, under powered, prop tunneled monsters don't leave wakes,
they create small tsunamis.

I have heard the "looking at the electronics" theory before. It is true.
Heaven forbid these fools have to steer a little off course to avoid running
over some poor ******* in a kayak. It will only get worse as GPS systems
continue dropping in price.

In my latest situation mentioned at the start of this thread, I was anchored
in a body of water far off to the side of the main channel that is rarely
piloted due to the amount of visible rocks. However, the minute I set up, it
immediately became the popular route. All were recreational boaters with
vessels in the 30' and under class. Most without navigation equipment but
fully armed with ignorance. Unbelievable...

Tom

One thing that never ceases to amaze me, while (as the overtaken
vessel) I maintain course and speed and some idiot blows by close
enough to pass the Grey Poupon, is that after overwhelming your vessel
with a steep wake and passing so close that there is insufficient time
to safely adjust course and minimize the impact......almost every one
of these nincompoops smiles and *waves*! Like, "Hello, how are you? My
thoughtless seamanship just stood you on your starboard beam, but
lovely weather we're having, isn't it?"

To reduce my blood pressure, I often think of what it's costing Captain
Clewless
to burn 60 gph gasoline these days. :-)

Sounds like a good use for those expired flares. :-)

Tim

Someone wrote in the newsgroups wondering about people who have boats
that will run 60 mph, think it must be run 60 mph all the time.
regardless of by what or whom.

fools!

D-unit

"Big Mike" punisher5string@ !REMOVE! yahoo.com wrote in message
Hi to all.... I'm Mike (Long Island Sound N.Y. - North Side - Very Rocky
Area)

Finally, finally, I figured out a really good reason why boat operators do
this. I could never for the life of me understand why no matter where I
would anchor or drift, a good number of boats will buzz by me only a few
short yards away as if I'm a marker buoy.

snip

I thought I was the only one who experienced that.

db

Big Mike

"D-unit" wrote in message

"Big Mike" punisher5string@ !REMOVE! yahoo.com wrote in message
Hi to all.... I'm Mike (Long Island Sound N.Y. - North Side - Very Rocky
Area)

Finally, finally, I figured out a really good reason why boat operators
do
this. I could never for the life of me understand why no matter where I
would anchor or drift, a good number of boats will buzz by me only a few
short yards away as if I'm a marker buoy.

snip

I thought I was the only one who experienced that.

db

So then I imagine the same thing happens to you in an empty parking lot. Do
you come back to find the only other car in the lot is parked right up along
side your driver's door? (You have to squeeze into your car that also just
received a brand new ding-er.)

Big Mike

"Tom" wrote in message

One thing that never ceases to amaze me, while (as the overtaken
vessel) I maintain course and speed and some idiot blows by close
enough to pass the Grey Poupon, is that after overwhelming your vessel
with a steep wake and passing so close that there is insufficient time
to safely adjust course and minimize the impact......almost every one
of these nincompoops smiles and *waves*! Like, "Hello, how are you? My
thoughtless seamanship just stood you on your starboard beam, but
lovely weather we're having, isn't it?"

To reduce my blood pressure, I often think of what it's costing Captain
Clewless
to burn 60 gph gasoline these days. :-)

Sounds like a good use for those expired flares. :-)

Yikes! ( : Hmmmmmmmmm, you know.......

Doug Kanter

"D-unit" wrote in message

"Big Mike" punisher5string@ !REMOVE! yahoo.com wrote in message
Hi to all.... I'm Mike (Long Island Sound N.Y. - North Side - Very Rocky
Area)

Finally, finally, I figured out a really good reason why boat operators
do
this. I could never for the life of me understand why no matter where I
would anchor or drift, a good number of boats will buzz by me only a few
short yards away as if I'm a marker buoy.

snip

I thought I was the only one who experienced that.

db

Nah....same thing here in Lake Ontario and its tributaries. I was out in the
lake two weeks back, anchored with a few other boats on top of some
structure that occupies maybe 3 square acres. So, we were anchored pretty
close, but new arrivals were obviously being very careful while choosing a
spot. We're two miles offshore (on the Rochester side), and however far it
is to Canada on the other side. Absolutely NO reason for passing boats to be
anywhere close. But, of course, almost all of them had to get within 100
feet of the group as they passed.

I don't think the Power Squadron course would do jack **** for people like
that.