Terry Haywood

Default No drain plug, now no start

Son took boat out today, forgot to put in drain plug (Glastron 18' open
bow, basic runabout "boat"). Water got deep enough to fill ski locker
and run onto floor before noticing; I figure it was pretty deep in the
engine bay.

After draining water he said the boat would not start. When I first saw
it the starter would click but the engine would not turn over. Jumped it
from another boat - no difference. Installed new battery - no difference.

A few hours later tried to start in the driveway (with hose attached).
Nothing. No click, no sound, nothing. The stern drive goes up and down
as well as ever, leading me to think the battery is fully charged with a
good connection.

What would be wrong with it? My guess (FWIW) is, the starter was
underwater and (I'm guessing this from reading diagnostics from a shop
manual) the starter relay is dead.

1. Does this sound right?
2. How to test?
3. If "dead", is it likely to dry out and start working or should I just
plan to get another one?

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Haywood wrote:
[...]

If the water was fresh water the starter may recover. I would blow
compressed air over it to assist in drying.

Check all fuses.

Pull spark plugs and check for presense of water.

check for voltage at the relay.

One of the first things I add to any boat I own is a water alarm and an
automatic pump.

JamesgangNC

On all i/o engines except some fords the main starter solenoid is on the
side of the starter. It both pulls the starter gear into the flywheel and
electrically connects the starter motor to the battery. Sometimes there is
an additional electrical solenoid somewhere else. If you have a voltmeter
and a helper you can test at the starter. If the water was up to the floor
then the starter was underwater. Your problem is most likely the solenoid
on the side of the starter and you may be able to just replace the solenoid
or even fix it. You will need to remove the starter to do that. If the
starter is a real hassle to remove a lot of people just go the safe route
ane replace the entire starter unit.

"Terry Haywood" wrote in message

[...]

One solution might be to take the starter apart, drain the water out of it
and put it in the oven at about 250 degrees for an hour or so to dry
it out. It's likely the armature will corrode in the moist atmosphere.
The key is to dry out the thing and if there's corrosion on the armature,
gently clean it off (very fine emory cloth).

b.

How fast will a Bayliner 175 sink with no drain plug? Mr Wizzard General 37 August 16th 05 08:06 PM
Mercruiser Oil Drain Plug Siezed jmal General 8 June 13th 05 05:39 PM
1978 4 hp evinrude, hard warm start and needs some TLC BllFs6 General 2 July 27th 04 01:09 PM
Drain Plug Arleen General 2 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Engine hard to start = need change spark plug? Sled Monkey General 0 July 16th 03 07:41 PM