Terry Haywood wrote:
Son took boat out today, forgot to put in drain plug (Glastron 18' open
bow, basic runabout "boat"). Water got deep enough to fill ski locker
and run onto floor before noticing; I figure it was pretty deep in the
engine bay.

After draining water he said the boat would not start. When I first saw
it the starter would click but the engine would not turn over. Jumped it
from another boat - no difference. Installed new battery - no difference.

A few hours later tried to start in the driveway (with hose attached).
Nothing. No click, no sound, nothing. The stern drive goes up and down
as well as ever, leading me to think the battery is fully charged with a
good connection.

What would be wrong with it? My guess (FWIW) is, the starter was
underwater and (I'm guessing this from reading diagnostics from a shop
manual) the starter relay is dead.

1. Does this sound right?
2. How to test?
3. If "dead", is it likely to dry out and start working or should I just
plan to get another one?

Thanks,

Terry

If the water was fresh water the starter may recover. I would blow
compressed air over it to assist in drying.

Check all fuses.

Pull spark plugs and check for presense of water.

check for voltage at the relay.

One of the first things I add to any boat I own is a water alarm and an
automatic pump.