Ed Hale

Default Quick Prop Question

I agree that if a hub is spun you know it, but I can assure you my Laser
II, approx 3 years old, does not have a hub. it is one solid piece of
stainless. It resides under my seat now as a spare since I use a
Piranha for 99% of my cruising. I don't care about ventillating in hard
turns, because I don't do that and at 3200 rpm, I am very happy with the
performance of the composite. And it is cheap to fix when you hit the
inevitable trash floating in a river over a 1000 mile trip.

Dean wrote:
Umm. I dunno what laser II you have, but the one on our boat (small
hubbed), has a rubber hub in it, just like most normal props. If the
hub is spun, you will know, real quickly.

-Dean

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:34:49 -0400, Ed Hale
wrote:

Not wanting to create a major problem here, but the Laser II does not
have a slipping hub, if that is what you are talking about. I have one
and if you hit something with just a blade, you will probably bend the
drive shaft. Try the expense of that sucker.

Personally I use a composite prop for river cruising. At normal cruise
speed of 3200 rpm I only lost 1 mph vs my Laser II SS and if I ding a
blande on a floating something, it only costs me $20 and I can fix in on
the water in 5 minutes or less.

If you want performance, get a SS, but be prepared for very expensive
outdrive repair if you do hit something.

Captain Ed
Searay 190, 5.0 EFI

Tony Thomas wrote:

Not true. The hub in the prop is the weak link. That is what it is
designed for. The SS will hold up to trash and hits without damage to the
prop or anything. A big hit and the prop/hub will probably be destroyed
anyway. Only reason you would damage the gears would be if you hit a large
rock while running w/ the actual gearcase and damaged it. If you just hit
w/ the prop, no damage to the gears/drive should exist.

Tony

"noah" wrote in message

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:06:01 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

I would suggest that you purchase a good SS prop in a 14 x 19 to use as

your

main prop. You will gain speed and acceleration by the improvement in

blade

design. Then use the current prop as a spare. Look at the Laser II.

Tony

Tony- I have been reluctant to switch to SS props, in spite of the
performance gains, because of concerns about drive damage. I
regularly run local rivers, complete with submerged tree trunks,
rocks, etc., that are rearranged regularly by ice and current.

I have heard from other experienced boaters that the SS props are more
unforgiving, and transfer more shock to the drive if an object is hit.

Any thoughts?
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

--
http://ripperd2.dhs.org

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM