*JimH*

Default Thru hull exhaust conversion to below the water exhaust

We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on the
I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do it
yourself project?

JamesgangNC

It almost always is an option. In most cases the engine has to be lifted to
get the pipe that routes down to the lower unit installed. There are filler
plates to cover where the thru hull tips are removed. Except for lifting
the engine it is simple work. You might look at slip in mufflers but they
will still be a lot louder than thru prop.

"*JimH*" wrote in message
We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on
the I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do it
yourself project?

*JimH*

k.net...

"*JimH*" wrote in message
We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on
the I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do it
yourself project?

I have seen boats that can transfer from thru hull to thru the prop with a
switch. Any idea the cost of such conversion?

*JimH*

"*JimH*" wrote in message
We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on
the I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do
it yourself project?

I have seen boats that can transfer from thru hull to thru the prop with a
switch. Any idea the cost of such conversion?

Also...do you have any experience with the screw on mufflers? Some claim a
noise reduction of 12 dBA which is quite significant.

Here are some I am looking at:

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/cata...%2 DFull+Time

I am not a go fast boater. I don't like loud boats. But this boat is being
sold at a bargain price as the owner needs the cash. All I want to bring
the noise from this 260 hp 5.7L down to a nice purr.

To make the deal even more attractive the owner is renting the boat to us
for a week during our trip to Kelley's Island next week, with the rental
applied towards the purchase if it passes structural and mechanical
(including compression test) surveys.

Even if the surveys fall through we would have spent only $400 to rent this
boat for a full week. Quite a bargain.

Here is the boat: http://tinyurl.com/9cen8

The registration numbers on the hull have been blurred/paintshop sprayed
over for privacy reasons.

Woodchuck

Check to see if the "Y" pipe is still there, otherwise the engine needs to
be removed to install the system. I was told a 3 db reduction relates to the
a 50% drop to what the ear here's. Go with the mufflers!

"*JimH*" wrote in message
We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on
the I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do it
yourself project?

*JimH*

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
That trailer needs a forward keel roller to protect the front part of the
hull from hitting the trailer frame crosspiece when loading.

That was not my question.

There is plenty of protection on the trailer from keeping that from
happening.

JamesgangNC

That is done with cutouts. Merc and corsa both make them among others.
They are about a grand. I have a set of corsas. Even when in the thru prop
mode you still get some noise out the thru hulls. I added slip-ins and that
made it bearable. Still not nearly as quiet as thru prop alone. If you are
after quiet regular thru prop is the best. Those bolt on mufflers are so so
if you have space. Smaller boats often don't have enough space under the
swim platform for them. They are usually pretty long. Another option is
inside lift mufflers but they have space issues as well. You'll find most
of these options to be quite pricy. You can get a used thru hull Y pipe and
the hook up usually pretty cheaply. You just need to pull the outdrive and
lift the motor.

"*JimH*" wrote in message
We are looking at a nice 21 footer to use for water skiing, tubing and
general use on Lake Erie. The problem is that it has thru hull exhaust.

Is it easy to convert to an below the water exhaust (through the prop on
the I/O)? How much money in materials would be involved? Is it a do
it yourself project?

I have seen boats that can transfer from thru hull to thru the prop with a
switch. Any idea the cost of such conversion?

JamesgangNC

Nothing personal but what do you consider a bargain? That boat looks pretty
old. What year is it? Have you checked the blue book? Off the top of my
head I'd bet something around 5 or 6 grand.

"*JimH*" wrote in message
[...]

*JimH*

"JamesgangNC" wrote in message
nk.net...
Nothing personal but what do you consider a bargain? That boat looks
pretty old. What year is it? Have you checked the blue book? Off the
top of my head I'd bet something around 5 or 6 grand.

The boat looks old? May I suggest that you see your optometrist?

It is a 1989 with low hours.

1990 models are selling (not retailing) for $8,500.

I can get this one for $5,000, including a weeks use on vacation prior to
the survey.

NADA lists it at $7,000 without trailer, average retail. This boat has a
trailer.

I did not check BUC but I will prior to the purchase.

I did not just fall out of the turnip truck. I have owned boat for the past
25 years and know what is a good buy.

So back to my original question.. Can you answer it?