Shortwave Sportfishing

Default Yo!! Don White!!

Ever hear of Holman sailboats?

Specifically, a Holman Double Ender - 20 foot long, full set of sails,
etc? Supposedly made in Canada?

Got any info on those little beauties? Like maybe a URL?
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Ever hear of Holman sailboats?

Specifically, a Holman Double Ender - 20 foot long, full set of sails,
etc? Supposedly made in Canada?

Got any info on those little beauties? Like maybe a URL?

Well I sure have and sure do.
Nordicas & Halmans were very similar ( I assume you mean Halman).
A few years ago I almost bought the 16 foot version, but they had a
problem...no cockpit drain and most older ones have soft cockpit floors.
The 20 foot version is still fairly popular. Lots around this way and up
through Ontario.
I like the 20 (later a 21). The style appealed to me but with a full
shoal keel and the weight...way too much for my tow vehicle.
http://www.nordicaboats.com/
Try http://www.boatforsale.org/class/default.asp
go to 20 feet & over sailboats. Both a halman and a Nordica are listed.
Dirt cheap in yankee dollahs.
Don White

Another url:
http://sailquest.com/market/models/halman.htm
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:11:04 GMT, Don White
wrote:

[...]

I gotta hand it to you - you really know your stuff. You 'da man.

I just bought a 20' Halman double ender sight unseen - it's my Uncle's
boat out in Milwaukee - I'm going out to get it the middle of August.
It's in pristine condition as he had the boat gone over and detailed
when he bought it two years ago.

It comes with a 9.9 Evinrude electric start, two mains, full jib, half
jib and a storm jib, trailer and some other goodies.

I'm looking forward to sailing Narragansett Bay and getting in the
power boater's way for a change. :)

I'll post pictures as soon as I get them.

Once again, many thanks for being a sailing resource - you are
valuable member of the group.

wrote:

[...]

Oh, NO!

A stinkpotter becomes a switch-hitter!

Ok, fess up- does your acquisition of this Laundryliner have *anything*
at all to do with your musing about sex changes yesterday? :-)

(just kidding, sounds like a nice boat- congrats)

Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Hey, righty, lefty - as long as the job get's done.

And my emissions are very clean, thank you very much.

Ok, fess up- does your acquisition of this Laundryliner have *anything*
at all to do with your musing about sex changes yesterday? :-)

Um....not really - that was more of a "WTF" yesterday.

(just kidding, sounds like a nice boat- congrats)

I'm actually really psyched about this deal. My Uncle needed to get
rid of it as he's getting up there in age, he asked me if I knew
somebody who might be interested, I knew a little about the Nordic 20
and made an assumption based on nothing more than a hunch that it was
a similar boat (thanks to Don for verifying that) - I haven't been
back to Wisconsin in at least 20 years, so I said what the hell -
I'll buy it. My wife is even enthusiastic about this believe it or
not - god knows why because the fleet just keeps on growing. :)

I've been looking for a small sailer for a couple of years and
couldn't find one that I really liked. This has everything I like in
a boat - solid, well built, easy to maintain and I can single hand it
if I wish to on a nice day over in the Bay.

Everybody wins. :)
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

I gotta hand it to you - you really know your stuff. You 'da man.

I just bought a 20' Halman double ender sight unseen - it's my Uncle's
boat out in Milwaukee - I'm going out to get it the middle of August.
It's in pristine condition as he had the boat gone over and detailed
when he bought it two years ago.

It comes with a 9.9 Evinrude electric start, two mains, full jib, half
jib and a storm jib, trailer and some other goodies.

I'm looking forward to sailing Narragansett Bay and getting in the
power boater's way for a change. :)

I'll post pictures as soon as I get them.

Once again, many thanks for being a sailing resource - you are
valuable member of the group.

Geeze...thanks for the compliments..get them so seldom I hardly know
what to think.
I'm a bit jealous. If I was going to belong to a yacht club and wet
sail, that would be a dandy boat to own. Just before I retired 1.5 years
ago I was keeping an eye on the one owned by one of our TV reporters.
Seemed to indicate he might sell but never did. He keeps his at the
Armdale Yacht Club. There are a couple of real nice ones here but most
are starting to look their age. They were supposed to be well made
(Nordicas anyway). My buddy, who lives in the Virgin Islands and
another local character, who runs the most popular chip truck (french
fry) downtown actually schemed to distribute the Nordicas way back in
the late '70s. I think they had big dreams but minimal capital to pull
it off.
Best of luck with the new boat.