Mr Wizzard

Default How to gas up a 2005 Bayliner 175 without overflow ??

So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Stanley Barthfarkle

Gotta go much slower. My '85 Bayliner does the same thing. Takes me about 10
minutes to put 20 gallons in- I can't even get halfway to the first 'click'
on the handle before it starts to spew. I hold several paper shop towels
under the tank vent to catch the inevitable spillage.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

seeray28

Remember how we talked about the top portion of the gas tank being added on
to make 21 gallons. Well I take the back seat rest off so I can see the
tank. When that portion of the tank starts to get gas in it I stop, thats
about 20 gallons or 100 miles range and you wont get any fuel slosh.
On a side note there is another 175 running around the Mississippi river as
well as ours, everytime the wife and I go out, hes coming in as we are going
out. its kinda wierd looking at a live reflection of yourself on the river.
When you changed your oil how did it look, mine was black/brown.
Steve
"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Mr Wizzard

"seeray28" wrote in message
news
Remember how we talked about the top portion of the gas tank being added

on
to make 21 gallons.

Ya know Steve, I was thinking about what you said
about that when I was filling it up when this happened
yesturday. A minute or two into that thought, va-woosh!.

Well I take the back seat rest off so I can see the
tank.

We think alike in a way. After that outing, I was home
cleaning up the boat, and just happened to pop the
seat off on the other side and saw the battery. So
I say hum, wonder what I can see behind the other
cusion. Poped that one off, and said, ah-ha! the tank.
And so I thought yeah, I can do this at the gas station
next time I fill up.

When that portion of the tank starts to get gas in it I stop, thats
about 20 gallons or 100 miles range and you wont get any fuel slosh.
On a side note there is another 175 running around the Mississippi river

as
well as ours, everytime the wife and I go out, hes coming in as we are

going
out. its kinda wierd looking at a live reflection of yourself on the

river.
When you changed your oil how did it look, mine was black/brown.
Steve

I'm probably just a tad shy of 20 hours by now
(lost count actually). Its just starting to get brown.
I want to change it, but I need to get a filter. Maybe
I'll do that today. Yeah, seeing that same boat out
is weird isn't it? Once you know how to spot it,
its easy to pick it out - just look for that square
edge in the windshield to side window transition.

So while you're here, got some more questions
for ya.

trim: Still trying to figger this out. I got on a
local lake that was smooth as glass yestyrday.
(man!, what a trip!) anyways, so when I
trim up, I "normally" trim to where that gague
is right on the 3/4 mark on the gague (remember
that the gague is off a bit, right). Anyways, I
keep hearing that to find proper trim at speed,
trim up/out so that it starts bobbing, and trim
in/down a bit. Well, mine never "bobs" up/down.
what *does* happeen however, it that when I
trim up/out ast where I normally run, the steering
starts to get harder, and it wants to pull to the left.
The boat does seem to start going faster, but like
I said, steering gets noticebly harder, and wants
to pull to the left - you really gotta hang on to
the wheel and "steer" the thing at speed like
this. So, is this normal? - or when at this mode,
am I trimmed up/out too high?

Engine: Hearing a ticking sound that sounds
to me like valve tappets. Its not overly loud,
but does appear present at low to modest
speed. Does yours do this? Is this part of
the normal breakin/ware-in process? At
what point should I be concerned and adjust
valve lash ?

idle: The boat generally runs well, I will say
that. That new little electonic fast idle device
on the carb is interesting - makes noise while
cold, and takes longer than what I think it should
to fall back off fast idle. But thats all ok. But the
other day, when it was hot, I was maneuvering
around the launch to get it on the trailer, and I
was doing some FWD/REV shifting, the idle
seemed to get/be *really* low, so much so that
it actually stalled. Usually I pop it in neutral and
rev it up a tad any chance I get, but I had some
tricky maneuvors to do pretty quick, so I didn't
have a free hand to pop it in neutral. This ever
happen to you ?

Probably got other questions to share, but will
wait till next time.

Thanks!

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Real Name

Wiz,
I recommend you put a hour meter on your engine. It is inexpensive, easy to
install, and it will make it much easier to keep up with the 50 hr oil
changes.

I always used sound as an indication of proper trim. I start with the
outdrive trimmed all the way in. Once I am on plane, I trim it out till I
hear a change in tone from the prop. At that point, I trim it back a tad.
On most of my boats, it was trimming the outdrive about a 1/3 of the way,
but it will vary from boat to boat.

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

news

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Mr Wizzard

"Real Name" wrote in message
Wiz,
I recommend you put a hour meter on your engine. It is inexpensive, easy

install, and it will make it much easier to keep up with the 50 hr oil
changes.

I always used sound as an indication of proper trim. I start with the
outdrive trimmed all the way in. Once I am on plane, I trim it out till I
hear a change in tone from the prop. At that point, I trim it back a tad.
On most of my boats, it was trimming the outdrive about a 1/3 of the way,
but it will vary from boat to boat.

Coupla things - so you get ON plane with it all the way in?
(I never knew that). And this "tone change" - is it disntict?
And what is the change? (higher pitch, lower, smoother?)
And what indication do I use for determining that its out/up
too far? And what of this steering thing? (added load, and
wanting to pull to the left) - is that an indication that I might
be trimmed out/up too far? Thanks for the help!

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

news

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Real Name

The tone change is higher, like the prop is starting to come out of the
water. Experiment with your outdrive trim and you will hear the difference.

The tendency of a boat to steer to the left is caused by prop. The prop is
a screw turning through the water. The torque will pull the boat to the
left. A boat that has too much weight on the left side can aggravate the
problem. Trim Tabs can offset some of this pull, but on your next boat
looking into the Bravo 2 or DuoProps.

I would recommend you take a course at the Power Squadron or Coast Guard
Auxiliary. You will get most of your questions answered, learn basic
boating and safety skills, and meet other boaters in your area. You
probably will also will save 10% on your boating insurance.

http://www.usps.org/

http://www.cgaux.org/

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"Real Name" wrote in message
[...]

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

news

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:07:54 -0700, "Mr Wizzard"
wrote:

So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

The fuel flow is too fast - slow it down.
John H.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:07:54 -0700, "Mr Wizzard" wrote:

So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Don't wait for the sucker to click off! If you *know* it's going to overflow
every time, waiting is not too smart.

Rather than trying to get every last ounce in your tank, put in somewhat less
than you think the gauge shows you need. For example, if my gauge shows I'm got
half a tank (100 gal tank), I'll put in 40 gallons and be done with it.

That way I don't overflow.

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD
Mr Wizzard

wrote:

So every time I go to fill up my new 2005 Bayliner 175 Capri,
it overflows, and floods all over the swim deck (and stains it)
No matter how slow I go, when that sucker clicks off, whoosh,
big ole wave of gas O leen all over the place. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks!

Don't wait for the sucker to click off! If you *know* it's going to

overflow
every time, waiting is not too smart.

Rather than trying to get every last ounce in your tank, put in somewhat

less
than you think the gauge shows you need. For example, if my gauge shows

I'm got
half a tank (100 gal tank), I'll put in 40 gallons and be done with it.

Good Gawd!, if I had a 100 gal tank, I'd fill up once a season! haha
Well, the issue is, I don't always know how much is in there
when I pull up to the station. Suspose I could climb up in
the boat at the gas station and turn the key on and look.
Thing is, this boat has that warning beeper that comes on
when you first turn the key that is *SO* loud, that it
would probably freak out all the people pumping gas.
Expecially in those gas stations with the big metal
awnings - big echo chamber. But yeah, you are right.
And at this Circle-K (76), I can't seem to slow down
the pump. So I'm wondering why this doesn't do this
on the truck? Interesting stuff.

That way I don't overflow.