Default need advice on motor for a 8' starter boat

Hi,

I just bought a 8' dingy that I'll use near shore. I'm looking for a
used 3 to 6 hp outboard, my budget is around $150 to $300. There seem
to be a lot of brands out there, Johnson, Mercury, Susuki, etc. can
someone give me some pointers? I saw in the local ad. on a 3.0
gamefisher for $250. I quick search in this group says that it was
made by Tanaka (I don't know if that makes any difference.) Also, is
gamefisher no longer being serviced?

thanks

stan

Anything more than 3 hp is probably too much for an 8 ft dinghy. In
fresh water you can't go wrong with Mercury, Evinrude or Johnson.
Suzuki and Tohatsu are also gaining in popularity as is Yamaha of
course. Buy one with good local service because they all will need it
sooner or later.

Gordon

That's basically a weed eater motor. air cooled 2 stroke, a little loud
although it exhausts under water thru the prop, lasts forever and very lite
weight. That price seems a little high as they are/were about 300 new.
oups.com...