Joe. R

Default Gelcoat repair

Looking for someone in the Boston area experienced with hull repairs to help
with a few gouges in my hull. I could trailer the boat to you. I'm really
looking for someone who would let me look over his shoulder while he did the
repairs; I want to learn how to do this myself. I'll pay cash for the
repair/lesson.

The boat is an 18' CC with a white hull. It's got 3 small gouges going
down to the glass and one scratch in the gell that's a bit too deep to buff
out.

Thanks!

Joe

Jim

I'll give you the condensed procedure.

You need:
1) Original gel coat (easily obtained, don't listen to those
who have other ideas)
2) Polyester catalyst
3) Acetone
4) Small mixing cups and sticks
5) Scotch Tape
6) Sandpaper-600 grit, rubber block
7) rubbing compound, wax

Clean out gouge, mix gel coat, fill gouge. Cover with strip of scotch
tape, smooth out.

When it's dry, if you are very good at it, it's acceptable with a little
sanding to blend, rub out and wax. If you used too much gel coat, you
have to sand it smooth. Don't use too much.

All this assumes there is no underlying damage.

Wax the entire hull when you're done, it probably needs it anyway.

Try it, it's easy.
Jim