Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default If you can't remember 1958 don't bother reading...

Gene Kearns wrote:
I heard this song today. It took me back a lot of years, but made me
smile the rest of the afternoon....

All of the lyrics to this song on the net appear to be incorrect. Have
I got it right?

It's summertime, summertime
Sum, sum, summertime
Summertime, summertime
Sum, sum, summertime
Summertime, summertime
Sum, sum, summertime
Summertime, summertime
Sum, sum, summertime, summertime

Well, shut them books and throw 'em away
And say goodbye to dull school days
Look alive and change your ways
It's summertime

Well, no more studying history
And no more reading geography
And no more dull geometry
Because it's summertime

It's time to head straight for them hills
It's time to live and have some thrills
Come along and have a ball
A regular free-for-all

Well, are you comin' or are you ain't
You slow pokes come on and I won't complain
Hurry up before I change
It's summertime

Well, I'm so happy that I could flip
Oh, how I'd love to take a dip
I'm sorry teacher but zip your lip
Because it's summertime

It's time to head straight for them hills
It's time to live and have some thrills
Come along and have a ball
A regular free-for-all

Well we'll go swimmin' every day
No time to work just time to play
If your folks complain just say
It's summertime

And every night we'll have a dance
'Cause what's a vacation without romance
Oh man this jive has me in a trance

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/ Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

1958? No problem
1968? A lot of that is tough to remember.

Did The Jamies ever have another hit?

This song, relying heavily on a single word for most of the lyrics
reminds me a bit of the funny story behind the group "Steam." Seems
some bored studio musicians decided, as a joke, to whip out a quick
song based primarily on a long string of nonsense lyrics and somebody
immediately dreamed up "Na, na,na, na, na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey,
goodbye." They made the goofy record without any thought that it would
turn into anything except a private joke and then all went separate
ways. Some executive at Mercury Records came across the demo tape and
released it to Top 40 stations across the country. The record exec had
to make up a name for the band, so he called it "Steam." The song "Kiss
Him Goodbye" became a huge hit (people still recognize it instantly, 36
years later). Where the story gets just a bit strange is where concert
promoters began booking Steam into live appearances- and there really
wasn't an actual group! Mercury Records assembled several groups in
different regions of the country, had them rehearse "Kiss Him Goodbye",
and put them all on the road simultaneously back in '69. Steam appeared
as an opening act for concerts in cities thousands of miles apart on
the same weekends. You can get away with that with a brand new group
that nobody every heard of before a blockbuster single.

Must be a way to make some dough combining the two, let's see:

Sum sum sum sum, sum sum sum sum, hey hey hey, er time..... Nah, I
guess I won't quit my present gig. :-)