Shortwave Sportfishing

Default Old dog, new trick

Took the Ranger out this morning up to Webster Lake for some
largemouth fishing. Did ok, but nothing spectacular, until...

a guy in another Ranger came over and we got to chatting about my boat
(he had never seen one) and I noticed that he had a couple of rods
rigged wacky worm style with Senkos.

Hmmm - I've never tried that particular rigging method with a plastic
worm, I thought. What the hell - give it a go.

I swear this is true - 14 fish later, everything from 1 to 6 pound
large and smallmouth bass in the space of an hour and a half. I
couldn't miss. I even caught fish on those stupid looking bubblegum
colored Senkos which is what I caught the 6 lb largemouth on.

Great morning on the water - had a blast, used a new rigging method -
can't beat it.
Doug Kanter

Took the Ranger out this morning up to Webster Lake for some
largemouth fishing. Did ok, but nothing spectacular, until...

a guy in another Ranger came over and we got to chatting about my boat
(he had never seen one) and I noticed that he had a couple of rods
rigged wacky worm style with Senkos.

Hmmm - I've never tried that particular rigging method with a plastic
worm, I thought. What the hell - give it a go.

I swear this is true - 14 fish later, everything from 1 to 6 pound
large and smallmouth bass in the space of an hour and a half. I
couldn't miss. I even caught fish on those stupid looking bubblegum
colored Senkos which is what I caught the 6 lb largemouth on.

Great morning on the water - had a blast, used a new rigging method -
can't beat it.

I can't believe it. Pink's about the only color I never tried. I don't even
own any in that color.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:06:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
[...]

Did you check your mail?
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:06:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
[...]

:-) Check your email, Tom.

I wonder if pink is what it takes to wake up the five zillion smallmouth
that were hanging out on the bottom, in 25 feet of water in Lake Ontario
last week, and refused to budge. Not for worms, crayfish, live minnows or 15
different lures.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Took the Ranger out this morning up to Webster Lake for some
largemouth fishing. Did ok, but nothing spectacular, until...

a guy in another Ranger came over and we got to chatting about my boat
(he had never seen one) and I noticed that he had a couple of rods
rigged wacky worm style with Senkos.

Hmmm - I've never tried that particular rigging method with a plastic
worm, I thought. What the hell - give it a go.

I swear this is true - 14 fish later, everything from 1 to 6 pound
large and smallmouth bass in the space of an hour and a half. I
couldn't miss. I even caught fish on those stupid looking bubblegum
colored Senkos which is what I caught the 6 lb largemouth on.

Great morning on the water - had a blast, used a new rigging method -
can't beat it.

We use Senkos here, a lot. Either wacky, or Carolina or Texas rigged.
Another good one is to drop shot them. I've not had much luck with
bubblegum colored worms in these parts. I've had my best luck on the
brighter green Senkos. Bass Pro shops sells a variation of Senkos
called Kinami (or similar). Did you notice how they feel very different
when fishing with them than the standard plastic worms? Another
favorite here are plastic lizards.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:38:39 -0700, "ed"
wrote:

Do you catch and release or keep what you catch ?

Strictly catch, tag and release.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On 11 Jul 2005 12:38:57 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I actually don't use them much at all - I have a pretty large
selection of them, but it's pretty much situational.

I prefer large black, purple, motor oil or watermelon colors - almost
9" to 12" worms.

Most of the time I rig Texas style, occasionally I'll use drop
shotting, but to tell the truth, that's just a variation on Carolina
rigging.

[...]

Yes, and no. Drop shotting is at a more controlled depth. You can use
the drop shot fishing either fast or slow, doesn't matter. Carolina
rigs need to be fished slow, or the bait will be at the sinker. Try a
6" lizard, they work very well around here. Mostly in greens, like
chartreuse.