dh@.

Default wood stove questions

Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?

Thanks for any help!
David

PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
on my own as well as asking for people to share
what they've learned, here is a list of some related
websites:

http://www.calarmy.com/tents/
http://www.kni-co.com/
http://tinyurl.com/9pbxv
http://www.aaoobfoods.com/shepherdstoves.htm#2%20DX
http://davistent.com/davisTent/html/WoodStoves.html
http://www.cylinderstoves.com/defram...ovepricing.htm
http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html
http://www.fourdog.com/page2.html
http://www.army-technology.com/contr...manufacturing/
Mungo Bulge

Most of the referenced web pages all have the same stoves, along with
the warning that these stoves are "out door use" appliances, meaning
"don't use them in confined spaces cottages and trailers (house
boats).
If you are going to insist on putting a wood burning heater/stove,
make sure it has facility to use external air for combustion. A good
fire can consume a lot of the usable air within a closed space
quickly.

dh@. wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
| winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
| in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
| have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
| in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
| anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
| and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?
|
| Thanks for any help!
| David
|
| PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
| so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
| on my own as well as asking for people to share
| what they've learned, here is a list of some related
| websites:
|
| http://www.calarmy.com/tents/
| http://www.kni-co.com/
| http://tinyurl.com/9pbxv
| http://www.aaoobfoods.com/shepherdstoves.htm#2%20DX
| http://davistent.com/davisTent/html/WoodStoves.html
| http://www.cylinderstoves.com/defram...ovepricing.htm
| http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html
| http://www.fourdog.com/page2.html

http://www.army-technology.com/contr...manufacturing/

Reynaud

dh@. wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find
have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can
anyone suggest any stove(s) that they feel are good
and affordable, and any suggestions about use etc?

Thanks for any help!
David

PS in case anyone is interested in what I've found
so far, or wants proof that I've done some looking
on my own as well as asking for people to share
what they've learned, here is a list of some related
websites:

You must be wacko why the hell would anyone want an woodstove on an boat? It
is dangerous enough without adding another fire hazard. There are all sorts
of safe fuel burners.

Meindert Sprang

"Reynaud" wrote in message
You must be wacko why the hell would anyone want an woodstove on an boat?

It
is dangerous enough without adding another fire hazard. There are all

sorts
of safe fuel burners.

Mmm..... when wast the last time I saw wood vapour catching fire from a
spark.....

Meindert

Terry Spragg

Reynaud wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...

[...]

Safe? I would like to see a snug fitting stovepipe burner for fire
logs, throttleable, extinguishable, forced draught water heater, for
tea, washing, remote heating, even a steam boiler an engine, excess
steam vented under bustle to increase hull speed.

Unsafe? How about them fireballs you always see when jets blow up?
They use diesel oil for fuel.

Naw! You can swim through a crowd of burning firelogs, put them out
with a wet hat, even make a raft. Try that in burning bunker C, the
"safest" fuel. I wonder if firelogs could be made edible from entire
canola plants?

Terry K

thunder

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:47:24 -0400, dh wrote:

Hi,

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this winter, and I'd
like to have a small wood stove to use in it. All the small wood stoves
I've been able to find have been camping related, so I'm asking for advice
in camping groups as well as boating groups. Can anyone suggest any
stove(s) that they feel are good and affordable, and any suggestions about
use etc?

Navigator Stove Works make a marine wood burner.

http://www.marinestove.com/

Although, there are alternatives. Quite a bit of information can be found
he

http://www.cruisingresources.com/Ful...g_the_Boat.asp
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, dh@. said:
I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find

I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Terry Spragg

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, dh@. said:

I have a houseboat that I'd like to take out some this
winter, and I'd like to have a small wood stove to use
in it. All the small wood stoves I've been able to find

I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.

If charcoal burning hand warmers are not wood heaters, perhaps you'd
prefer a New Found Land and Labrador wooden stove? "Gives good
heat, can burn for 24 hours, b'y. Replacement stoves, cheap."

(The classic "Newfie wooden stove" is a packing crate, empty, with
smoke pipe. They can be burned only once. Deluxe versions come
stuffed with wadded up Globe and Mail newsprint press rejects and
roll ends (insert most hated newspaper name, here) "Kindling
included, easier to light, b'y"

Do any wood burners use a 2 liter Sprite bottle of water with a hole
poked in the cap for a class "A" fire extinguisher, parked right
next to the wood stove? Does it save insurance costs?

Haw!

Terry K

Terry K

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Terry Spragg said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.

If charcoal burning hand warmers are not wood heaters, perhaps you'd
prefer a New Found Land and Labrador wooden stove? "Gives good
heat, can burn for 24 hours, b'y. Replacement stoves, cheap."

You can't have your kayak and heat it too.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Quality Control, n.:
Brian Whatcott

Paul Tomblin wrote:
I very much doubt that there are any canoers or kayakers who've put wood
stoves in their boats, so I fail to see why you included
rec.boats.paddle.touring in your posting.....

You can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Good one!

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

Boat repair questions answers found here URL Michael Cruising 0 April 7th 05 06:56 PM
Questions about Fiberglassing Wood - OurBoat.jpg (0/1) Jason Boat Building 10 June 11th 04 05:28 PM
2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM
Lumber questions Russ B Boat Building 10 July 9th 03 12:29 PM