Real Name

Default Dennis Approaching Jamaica

DENNIS APPROACHING JAMAICA
As of 11 a.m. EDT, Hurricane Dennis was centered at 18.0 north, 75.6 west,
or about 80 miles east-southeast of Kingston, Jamaica. Maximum sustained
winds remain at 105 mph, with higher gusts. The estimated central pressure
is 968 mb (28.58 inches). This makes Dennis a strong Category 2 hurricane.
Dennis is moving toward the northwest at 10 mph, but this may be more of a
wobble in its movement. A west-northwest track, toward Jamaica and then
south of Cuba, is likely over the next 24-48 hours.

A hurricane warning is in effect for the southwestern peninsula of Haiti,
from the Dominican Republic border westward, for all of Jamaica, all of the
Cayman Islands, eastern and central Cuba. A hurricane watch is now in effect
for western Cuba. Hurricane conditions, including life-threatening flash
flooding is imminent for these Caribbean islands. A hurricane watch has also
been issued for the Florida Keys with a tropical storm watch now in effect
for the south peninsula of Florida from Golden Beach southward on the east
coast and Bonita Beach southward on the west coast.

We expect Dennis to track over the western tip of Cuba late Friday or Friday
night, and end up in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, most likely as a Category
3, or major hurricane. All U.S. interests, from the Florida Keys and the
Florida west coast, all the way to the Texas coast, should closely monitor
the progress of this strengthening hurricane. As of now, we believe Dennis
will head for the central Gulf Coast, with a projected landfall in the
vicinity of the mouth of the Mississippi River Sunday night or Monday.

On a historical note, this is the earliest in the Atlantic hurricane season,
that the "D" named storm has been reached. In no other season, back through
the time in which records have been kept, have there been four named storms
by this early date.

Tropical Depression Cindy is centered over northern Georgia, and is moving
northeastward. Heavy, flooding rainfall is the main problem with what is
left of Cindy; to the right of track, there can be a few strong to severe
thunderstorms. We think Tropical Depression Cindy, or Tropical Rainstorm
Cindy will track up through the western Carolinas today, and into Virginia
by tomorrow.

Tropical waves to note: a wave, or actually a 1014 mb low is centered near
11 north, 18 west; strong convection, or thunderstorms, are nearby. This is
a very large, impressive-looking system in the eastern Atlantic. A tropical
wave is along 35 west, south of 20 north, moving west; no convection is
associated with this system. A tropical wave is along 54 west, south of 16
north, moving west.

Real Name wrote:
[...]

The tropical depression that came through the Atlanta area did $40
million in damage to the Atlanta Motor Speedway alone.

Real Name wrote:
The damage was due to a tornado developed from the remnants of Tropical
Storm Cindy.

Uh, sorry, but the National Weather Service has not yet confirmed
whether or not there was a tornado. Any wind data that they have from
the area shows winds within the applicable building code parameters.

P. Fritz

"Real Name" wrote in message
No need to be sorry, a humble grovel will suffice.

Yeah, we should not expect kevin to apologize for a genetic condition. ;-)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Real Name wrote:
No need to be sorry, a humble grovel will suffice.

Typical of an idiot. I PROVE you wrong, and you come up with some
idiotic **** like that.

P. Fritz wrote:
"Real Name" wrote in message
No need to be sorry, a humble grovel will suffice.

Yeah, we should not expect kevin to apologize for a genetic condition. ;-)

Idiot. Grow up.

thunder

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:18:47 -0400, HarryKrause wrote:

I remember being in south Florida with a couple of civil engineers after
Hurricane Andrew and examining various structures that were destroyed by
that storm's winds. Most of the houses would have survived with minor
damage had any attention been paid to tying together foundations, walls,
and roofs with simple "hurricane" clips. Too many structures had
"too-large" windows facing the views. Not enough buildings had hurricane
shutters. Cheaply built commercial buildings were pierced by flying
objects. It was an eye-opener. I wonder if much has changed since.

Andrew was an eye-opener to many. Since it hit, the building codes have
been strengthened considerably, addressing many of your concerns. Roofs
designed to sustain 115 mph (I believe) winds, more nails, more clips,
etc. Enforcement is another issue. Many of the buildings in South
Florida, pre-Andrew, were just plain shoddy construction. I believe there
are still lawsuits winding their way through the courts.

A couple of pictures that clearly show differences in construction:

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00569.htm

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00568.htm

More photos:

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/nwind11.htm