Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chuck H

Default Engine coughing 50 HP Merc Outboard

I've a 50 HP Merc 4-stroke outboard, model year 2000. Location is St.
Peterburg, FL. Recently it has been "coughing" every 20 seconds or so.
Sort of like it misses a beat regularly. Seems pretty regular and to
be the same at all speeds. Doesn't really cause a problem except that
at idle speed it often causes the engine to die which is a real PITA
when docking, although it restarts easily. I've emptied and refilled
the gas tank and changed the fuel filter ... no joy. I changed the
spark plugs last November and there's probably only about about 100
hours on the engine since then. (sailboat).

I've considered just increasing the idle RPM to get rid of the 'dieing
at idle' problem but that wouldn't really solve the 'coughing' problem.
I'll certainly appreciate any advice you engine people may have.

Chuck H.

Small outboard engine Andrew ASA 2 April 13th 05 12:16 AM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM
V8 260 Merc Engine Help [email protected] General 0 August 24th 03 12:20 PM
1985 Merc outboard Help! Jason General 7 July 13th 03 07:59 PM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM