varnish_freak

Default 18hp Johnson. What's the "right" way to pull the lower unit.

I have a 50's vintage 18 hp Johnson motor that I've worked on a bunch
and I need to pull the lower unit (again). The two other times I've
pulled it it has been a huge pain in the ass trying to break it free.
Mainly because of the tight fit between the lower unit housing and the
shaft housing. (And yes, I've uncoupled the shift rod mid-way up). I'm
hoping there's a way to free it from the upper shaft housing without
gouging the heck out of it by prying with a screwdriver. Is there a
special tool for pulling lower units...or a special technique? Thanks
in advance to anyone who can help.

Bill McKee

Next time, coat the shaft with anti-seize.

"varnish_freak" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 50's vintage 18 hp Johnson motor that I've worked on a bunch
and I need to pull the lower unit (again). The two other times I've
pulled it it has been a huge pain in the ass trying to break it free.
Mainly because of the tight fit between the lower unit housing and the
shaft housing. (And yes, I've uncoupled the shift rod mid-way up). I'm
hoping there's a way to free it from the upper shaft housing without
gouging the heck out of it by prying with a screwdriver. Is there a
special tool for pulling lower units...or a special technique? Thanks
in advance to anyone who can help.

1978 70HP Johnson runs cruddy. help? Jeff Rigby General 1 May 22nd 04 12:42 PM
OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
Help...Johnson V4, 140 hp problem BigIrishDick4U Power Boat Racing 0 July 18th 03 07:36 PM