Default Confessions of a slow boater

Here's a link to an op-ed piece about the philosophy of slow-boating.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5618b7fc9c9df7

Garth Almgren

Around 7/5/2005 11:16 PM, wrote:

Here's a link to an op-ed piece about the philosophy of slow-boating.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5618b7fc9c9df7

I bet my dad would love to go cruising with you sometime. Though our
Commando can and has been up on what some would call "the edge of
planing" once or twice in her life, she greatly prefers a nice stately
9-10 knots.

When we installed and was breaking in her new Crusader 220, we were able
to keep up with one of the Mukilteo ferries during a full throttle run,
but as my dad said, "It was like watching an old lady trying to hitch up
her skirts and sprint." Scary, and at the same time somewhat pitiful.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

After a year of puttering around in our GB49 at 8 to 10 kts we are
beginning to adapt to a slower schedule but it has taken some
adjustment. One fact that has become apparent is that slow and steady
wins the race. Another observation is that when the wind and waves
kick up, we are running as fast as anyone else and doing it a lot more
comfortably. Last but not least, we are still running on fuel that we
bought in May, 700 miles ago in North Carolina at $1.67 a gallon.

On balance, our trip north from SWFL was not all that slow either.
Thanks to the help of two old sailing buddys who joined us for the
trip, we were able to make several offshore runs which saved a lot of
time and distance.

We left Cape Coral on May 21 heading east on the Okeechobee Waterway,
spent Saturday night docked in the wilds of central Florida, and then
made a 2 1/2 day non-stop run to Charleston, SC by way of Port St Lucie
and Fort Pierce inlet. We pulled into Charleston at the crack of dawn
on May 24, already 450 nautical miles from where we started. A day
later, and another overnight run, we were 200 miles north in Beaufort,
NC on the south side of the Outer Banks. From an over night stop in
Oriental, NC it took another 2 days on the Intercoastal Waterway to
reach Norfolk, VA averaging about 80 miles each day. Leaving Norfolk
at the crack of dawn the following day, we were able to reach Ocean
City, MD by late afternoon requiring full cruising speed of 10 1/2 kts.
Ocean City to Cape May, NJ was a leisurely 40 mile run at 8 kts, and
from there it was another 120 miles to NY Harbor, about 1200 natutical
miles total in 11 days, most of which was done at speeds of 9 kts or
less.

DSK

Excellent post.

wrote:
After a year of puttering around in our GB49 at 8 to 10 kts we are
beginning to adapt to a slower schedule but it has taken some
adjustment.

It is different... depends on which direction you're moving. Coming from
sail, I'm delighted with our average speed most of the time. I prefer
heeling to rolling though.

We left Cape Coral on May 21 heading east on the Okeechobee Waterway,
spent Saturday night docked in the wilds of central Florida, and then
made a 2 1/2 day non-stop run to Charleston, SC by way of Port St Lucie
and Fort Pierce inlet. We pulled into Charleston at the crack of dawn
on May 24, already 450 nautical miles from where we started. A day
later, and another overnight run, we were 200 miles north in Beaufort,
NC on the south side of the Outer Banks.

Wow, now that's moving! You did have a pretty good crew.

From an over night stop in
Oriental, NC it took another 2 days on the Intercoastal Waterway to
reach Norfolk, VA averaging about 80 miles each day. Leaving Norfolk
at the crack of dawn the following day, we were able to reach Ocean
City, MD by late afternoon requiring full cruising speed of 10 1/2 kts.
Ocean City to Cape May, NJ was a leisurely 40 mile run at 8 kts, and
from there it was another 120 miles to NY Harbor, about 1200 natutical
miles total in 11 days, most of which was done at speeds of 9 kts or
less.

Sounds like a great trip... you missed a lot of scenery in between. But
smart to skip going around Cape Hattaras outside. You picked a good time
to get out of Florida, Dennis is still deciding which way to go and
there's E,F, & G waiting out there in the on-deck circle.

Fair Skies
Doug King

*JimH*

Very nice Chuck. :-)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a link to an op-ed piece about the philosophy of slow-boating.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5618b7fc9c9df7

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 6 Jul 2005 05:02:51 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Glad you had a safe trip - I was wondering if you made it or not.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:14:19 -0400, DSK wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Sounds like a great trip... you missed a lot of scenery in between. But
smart to skip going around Cape Hattaras outside. You picked a good time
to get out of Florida, Dennis is still deciding which way to go and
there's E,F, & G waiting out there in the on-deck circle.

Speaking of slow boats, you seem to be the sail guy around these here
parts - what's a good, no frills, sail boat that isn't hard to sail
for somebody with some movement and strength problems - large enough
to carry, say four/five people in relative comfort for just day
sailing?
Shortwave Sportfishing

On 5 Jul 2005 23:16:56 -0700, "
wrote:

Here's a link to an op-ed piece about the philosophy of slow-boating.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5618b7fc9c9df7

The best line:

"If speed were free, would we want as much as we could get?"

Damn straight!!!! What the hell kind of question is that? :)

Here's my philosophy on speed - I have three boats what will turn a
fairly good clip - two in excess of 50 mph and one 14 footer that will
turn 35 mph. I have enough power to turn on the afterburners with
significant results if necessary.

The real question is how often is that necessary?

It's very rare for me.

John Gaquin

wrote in message

Here's a link to an op-ed piece about the philosophy of slow-boating.

Nice wordsmithing, Chuck.....

I run the Queen the same way. Although her brace of 318s will plane her
nicely and top out at about 27kt when asked (2-3 times per summer, for
medicinal purposes only), she spends the great preponderance of her waking
hours at about 8kt or so. These engines are happy as a clam running all day
at about 1800 rpm, and that's exactly what they do.

JG

Netsock

I too like the leisurly pace of "slow boating".

Im lucky enough to have a few different boats...including one for just raw
speed...so when I am just "recreational" boating, you will mostly find me at
dead slow (idle).

I enjoy chatting, looking at senery, waterfront homes, beaches, exploring
canals and bays, ect. Many folks (mostly younger ones) say Im "wasting" the
400 horses underneth, but I dont care. The only real voice is the
dog...sometime he demands some speed, and he usually gets his way.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/