Arcadefreaque

Default Dead people's boats and trailers

I think you'll find that you don't need a title for a boat that small.
The trailer would be another story. I've been told that the easiest
way to rectify the "no title" trailer is to register it as a homemade
trailer. But you would have to either do some significant work on the
trailer in order to justify the "homemade" classification, or you'd
have to live knowing that you lied about that :/ (probably best to
visit the registration department and find out for certain what your
options are)

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:06:38 GMT, Ignoramus26831
wrote:

I am in IL.

I bought a 12 foot boat with trailer at an "estate sale", for $120.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

All we did was writing a "bill of sale" on a small piece of paper.

Now I am beginning to realize that I have to possibly go through a
mountain of paperwork to actually get title to the boat AND trailer.

Does anyone have any actual experience dealing with transfer of
boat/trailer titles etc?

Connecticut is a non-title state so any answer I give might be
suspect, but generally a bill of sale is sufficient proof of ownership
- in particular for $120.

If the boat had been previously registered, then you should be fine.
If the trailer has a VIN number on it, then just have the seller redo
the bill of sale referencing the VIN. If it doesn't have a VIN, then
just tell them that and show the bill of sale.

While I'm not a fan of most DMVs, usually if you approach them with
the attitude that you have a problem that only they can solve, it's
amazing how quickly it gets resolved.
thunder

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:06:38 +0000, Ignoramus26831 wrote:

I am in IL.

I bought a 12 foot boat with trailer at an "estate sale", for $120.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

All we did was writing a "bill of sale" on a small piece of paper.

Now I am beginning to realize that I have to possibly go through a
mountain of paperwork to actually get title to the boat AND trailer.

Does anyone have any actual experience dealing with transfer of
boat/trailer titles etc?

As you said it was an estate sale, this might help:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/vsd27518.pdf

Or:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...tion/home.html

*JimH*

"Ignoramus26831" wrote in message
.. .
I am in IL.

I bought a 12 foot boat with trailer at an "estate sale", for $120.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

All we did was writing a "bill of sale" on a small piece of paper.

Now I am beginning to realize that I have to possibly go through a
mountain of paperwork to actually get title to the boat AND trailer.

Does anyone have any actual experience dealing with transfer of
boat/trailer titles etc?

You may not need a title for this size of boat. The State registration
numbers on the boat along with the bill of sale may be all you need to get a
new registration for it.

BTW: Why do you keep changing the numbers in your handle?

P. Fritz

wrote:

I am in IL.

I bought a 12 foot boat with trailer at an "estate sale", for $120.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/12-f...raft-Seafarer/

All we did was writing a "bill of sale" on a small piece of paper.

Now I am beginning to realize that I have to possibly go through a
mountain of paperwork to actually get title to the boat AND trailer.

Does anyone have any actual experience dealing with transfer of
boat/trailer titles etc?

I don't think it will amount to a "mountain" of paperwork. You may need to

get
the seller to sign and notarize something, but it's not the end of the

world.
Trying to make the trailer a "homebuilt" will create more of a hassle, as

it
will then need to get temp plates and be inspected, and then re-inspecdted

correct faults. That will no doubt involve jumping through a lot more

hoops than
playing it straight and getting the paperwork filled out properly.

My homebuilts were never even looked at, it was simply a matter of
writing a check to the DMV and getting the plate and tabs.

The boat will be even less complicated.

rusty redcloud