Jim

Default ( OT ) Bush Refuses to Condemn Proponents of Torture

Bush Refuses to Condemn Proponents of Torture

President Bush has publicly deplored the treatment of Iraqi prisoners at Abu
Ghraib, having apologized for the fiasco. Yet, just days after his apology,
the White House is refusing to condemn its right-wing allies who are making
light of the situation and defending torture.

For instance, conservative radio host and White House supporter Rush
Limbaugh this week called the torture "decent punishment," said soldiers
were simply "having a good time, and also said "I don't see the big deal
here"1. White House spokesman Scott McClellan refused to answer when asked
how the President felt about those comments2. Additionally, when McClellan
was asked whether Vice President Cheney would continue appearing on
Limbaugh's show (as he did in March), McClellan again refused to comment3.

Similarly, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK), who President Bush has repeatedly
praised as an ally, said that he was "more outraged by the outrage" than by
the abuse4. Inhofe also said that all the prisoners are "murderers,
terrorists and insurgents"5 despite the fact that the Red Cross notes that
between 70% and 90% of the Iraqi detainees were "arrested by mistake"6. The
White House again has refused to rebut these comments, in stark contrast to
other Republicans like Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) who said such comments are
"undercutting us in terms of our international standing"7.

Sources:
1.. Media Matters for America.
2.. Press Briefing by Scott McClellan, 05/06/2004.
3.. Press Gaggle with Scott McClellan, 05/11/2004.
4.. President Bush Calls on Congress to Act on Clear Skies Legislation,
09/16/2003.
5.. Senator 'Outraged at Outrage' in Iraq Prison Case, Reuters,
05/11/2004.
6.. Up to 90% of Iraqi detainees arrested by mistake, Red Cross says,
Chicago Sun-Times, 05/11/2004.
7.. Iraq prison debate takes partisan turn, Houston Chronicle, 05/11/2004.

Harry Krause

Jim wrote:

Bush Refuses to Condemn Proponents of Torture

President Bush has publicly deplored the treatment of Iraqi prisoners at Abu
Ghraib, having apologized for the fiasco. Yet, just days after his apology,
the White House is refusing to condemn its right-wing allies who are making
light of the situation and defending torture.

There are more legs to this torture tale than anyone first imagined.
Apparently Rummy is a bit more deeply involved in the process than he
has let on to date.

It's too bad it had to be something like this, but if it helps bring
down Bush, hey...
Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Jim wrote:

Bush Refuses to Condemn Proponents of Torture

President Bush has publicly deplored the treatment of Iraqi prisoners at

Abu
Ghraib, having apologized for the fiasco. Yet, just days after his

apology,
the White House is refusing to condemn its right-wing allies who are

making
light of the situation and defending torture.

There are more legs to this torture tale than anyone first imagined.
Apparently Rummy is a bit more deeply involved in the process than he
has let on to date.

It's too bad it had to be something like this, but if it helps bring
down Bush, hey...

The legs are worn off and it won't be able to walk at all in less than a
week.

Harry Krause

Jim wrote:

Bush Refuses to Condemn Proponents of Torture

President Bush has publicly deplored the treatment of Iraqi prisoners at

Abu

Ghraib, having apologized for the fiasco. Yet, just days after his

apology,

the White House is refusing to condemn its right-wing allies who are

making

light of the situation and defending torture.

There are more legs to this torture tale than anyone first imagined.
Apparently Rummy is a bit more deeply involved in the process than he
has let on to date.

It's too bad it had to be something like this, but if it helps bring
down Bush, hey...

The legs are worn off and it won't be able to walk at all in less than a
week.

In your dreams, perhaps. The Iraqi prisoner torture story will be around
for a while, until replaced by the next Bush mis-administration scandal.

Me, I'm kind of hoping for a nice oil price collusion scandal involving
the Bush-****ters, the big oil companies and our wonderful friends in
Saudi Arabia.

But I'll take whatever comes down the pike for the Bush-****ters, as
long as it helps bury the idiot, election wise
Bert Robbins

Jim wrote:

[...]

Why has the murder of Nick Berg not been met with as much print and air
time? What's the matter the death of an American at the hands of terrorists
is overshadowed by some poor slobs that got strip searched?

Me, I'm kind of hoping for a nice oil price collusion scandal involving
the Bush-****ters, the big oil companies and our wonderful friends in
Saudi Arabia.

The price of oil was artifically low and the fact that nobody in the US has
stopped driving to protest the high price of oil will keep it at or above
two dollars a gallon. The next problem will be that the government will try
to increase their take by raising the taxes and that's when the public will
scream. Inflation will kick in in a couple of months due to the increased
cost of plastics and transportaiton of goods.

But I'll take whatever comes down the pike for the Bush-****ters, as
long as it helps bury the idiot, election wise

I notice you aren't saying it is a good thing for Kerry. I can't wait until
Kerry make the great Faux Pas and goes down in flames. Then the fun begins
when the Democrats try to substitute a candidate just like they did in New
Jersey.

Harry Krause

Bert Robbins wrote:

Why has the murder of Nick Berg not been met with as much print and air
time? What's the matter the death of an American at the hands of terrorists
is overshadowed by some poor slobs that got strip searched?

You really don't understand why the prisoner torture case has such
strong legs, do you, Bertie? Well, this isn't the place to try to
explain it to you, nor do I believe you are educable enough to
understand in any case. So, I suppose you're doomed to wander through
what remains of your life wondering.

Me, I'm kind of hoping for a nice oil price collusion scandal involving
the Bush-****ters, the big oil companies and our wonderful friends in
Saudi Arabia.

The price of oil was artifically low and the fact that nobody in the US has
stopped driving to protest the high price of oil will keep it at or above
two dollars a gallon. The next problem will be that the government will try
to increase their take by raising the taxes and that's when the public will
scream. Inflation will kick in in a couple of months due to the increased
cost of plastics and transportaiton of goods.

That's wonderful, Bertie, but...as I stated, I'm hoping for a nice oil
price collusion story, or some other juicy scandal, to fall onto Bush's
head.

Inflation already has kicked in...

But I'll take whatever comes down the pike for the Bush-****ters, as
long as it helps bury the idiot, election wise

I notice you aren't saying it is a good thing for Kerry. I can't wait until
Kerry make the great Faux Pas and goes down in flames. Then the fun begins
when the Democrats try to substitute a candidate just like they did in New
Jersey.

Until the political conventions, I'm really paying more attention to the
spectacle of George W. Bush disintegrating. And that is a good thing.

basskisser

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message news:U5idnYjx798AhzXdRVn-
Why has the murder of Nick Berg not been met with as much print and air
time? What's the matter the death of an American at the hands of terrorists
is overshadowed by some poor slobs that got strip searched?

Simply because the Bush administration is down playing it. Why?
Simple, they ARE to blame, it's his no-reason war, so he is ultimately
to blame, and we all know this administration is too high and mighty
to apologize.

Me, I'm kind of hoping for a nice oil price collusion scandal involving
the Bush-****ters, the big oil companies and our wonderful friends in
Saudi Arabia.

The price of oil was artifically low and the fact that nobody in the US has
stopped driving to protest the high price of oil will keep it at or above
two dollars a gallon. The next problem will be that the government will try
to increase their take by raising the taxes and that's when the public will
scream. Inflation will kick in in a couple of months due to the increased
cost of plastics and transportaiton of goods.

No, it's been documented that Bush and OPEC are working together, and
oil prices will magically fall just before election time.

But I'll take whatever comes down the pike for the Bush-****ters, as
long as it helps bury the idiot, election wise

I notice you aren't saying it is a good thing for Kerry. I can't wait until
Kerry make the great Faux Pas and goes down in flames. Then the fun begins
when the Democrats try to substitute a candidate just like they did in New
Jersey.

what "Faux Pas" is THAT?
Doug Kanter

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message

Why has the murder of Nick Berg not been met with as much print and air
time? What's the matter the death of an American at the hands of

terrorists
is overshadowed by some poor slobs that got strip searched?

Maybe the two things have something in common, Einstein. Perhaps Dr.
Strangelove would prefer we not know what the common thread is.

thunder

On Sun, 16 May 2004 21:37:35 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

Me, I'm kind of hoping for a nice oil price collusion scandal involving
the Bush-****ters, the big oil companies and our wonderful friends in
Saudi Arabia.

Something like this:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....5950726730.xml