Bowgus

Default Sticking fuel float in 4bbl

V6 3.8 litre I/O with Rochester 4 bbl

I am now confident that the problem that has been plaguing me the past few
seasons is a sticking fuel float ... sticking meaning not stopping the fuel
flow. Yesterday I started the boat up in the laneway, it would not idle, had
to keep the throttle open a bit to prevent stalling, shut the engine off,
had fuel overflow coming out both sides of the carb until the fuel pressure
dropped (mechanical pump) ... which is basically what happened maybe 3 times
last season (but I did not notice the fuel overflow) and which would
eventually clear itself.

So, today as I was about to remove the carb, thought I'd try again ... well,
it started right up, idled fine, all ok.

So here's the thing ... I do not really want to dismantle that old Rochester
4 bbl if I can possibly avoid doing so. Has anyone had the same problem? Was
there an easy solution? Maybe pour in the carb cleaner and let soak
overnight kind of thing?

Thanks.

If not posting a reply, please reply to

Butch Davis

Geez... run a can of carb cleaner through the darn thing. First slowly pour
or spray some cleaner into the throat while the engine is running at high
idle. Don't use too much or you'll kill the engine. Next add a can or two
to your fuel tank. Hopefully the level in the tank is just above empty.

You do have a filter which gets a new element every season, right? You also
use a good dose of Store-N-Start at the end of each season, right?

If, as seems likely, the problem is varnish in the carb the cleaner should
solve the problem. If it is debris you'll almot certainly have to open the
float chamber to solve the problem. However, there is a chance that you can
remove the fuel line from the carb and spray some cleaner into the float
chamber right at the float valve.

Also possible, though unusual, is a float which will no longer float due to
a leak. Also requires disassembly.

Try the easy stuff.... it often works. Good luck.

Butch Davis
"Rich" wrote in message
news
There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like you

need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Calif Bill

Pouring cleaner down the throat does nada for anything inside the bowls.
Rochester carbs had a foam float in some that did sink with age. Pull the
top off, or take it to a carb shop. About $60-100 for a clean and rebuild.
Bill

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

"Rich" wrote in message
news
There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like you

need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Butch Davis

Well Bill, that's why I added that some cleaner should go into the fuel
system. But if varnish is in the float chamber/bowl it's probably in other
parts of the carb as well. A little cleaner in the throat while running
could be useful while doing no harm whatsoever, right?

It is almost always worth trying cheap easy things before trying harder more
expensive ones, no?

But I must agree with your comment that carb cleaner in the throat will do
nada for the float problem. Now, if only I had said that it would help the
float chamber/bowl problem then I could even thank you for your helpful(???)
comment.

Butch Davis
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

"Rich" wrote in message
news
There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like you

need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Bowgus

I may pull the air horn and check out the inlet needle and seat ($11.00) and
the float ($23.00). But what I'm gonna try first is a shut off valve so that
when the problem occurs, I can shut off the fuel, burn off what's in the
carb, then turn on the fuel again ... the plan being that the incoming fuel
will clear the seat if there's something there or free the float if it's
stuck. I prefer not to rebuild since I don't need to and since normally the
carb runs just fine ... idle, primaries, secondaries, power ... there's
always the risk that a new problem will be introduced.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

"Rich" wrote in message
news
There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like you

need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Calif Bill

Well Butch. He was having a problem with flooding, not varnish in the
throttle body. Address his problem, not a generic answer.

[...]

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

"Rich" wrote in message
news There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like

you
need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Lawrence James

You should also consider that dumping fuel down the intake washes the oil
out of the cylinders and can result in premature cylinder scoring and wear.

"Bowgus" wrote in message
s.com...
I may pull the air horn and check out the inlet needle and seat ($11.00)

and
the float ($23.00). But what I'm gonna try first is a shut off valve so

that
when the problem occurs, I can shut off the fuel, burn off what's in the
carb, then turn on the fuel again ... the plan being that the incoming

fuel
will clear the seat if there's something there or free the float if it's
stuck. I prefer not to rebuild since I don't need to and since normally

the
carb runs just fine ... idle, primaries, secondaries, power ... there's
always the risk that a new problem will be introduced.

nk.net...

"Rich" wrote in message
news There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like

you
need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich

"Bowgus" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

LD

I just went through this sat morn, 1 1/2hours on my '70 Blazer w/4bbl
Rochester. It was "loading up" more and more frequently, wouldn't idle.
The other day it died and gas was pouring out of it. I bought a rebuild
kit $12.99, float $5.99 and filter from AutoZone. I only removed the top,
blotted the gas out of the bowl with paper towels, vacuumed the crud out of
the bottom, noticed the viton tip on the old needle looked grooved. Also,
the old filter was the "sintered bronze" and the rubber seal on one end was
deteriorated, probably allowing crud to pass through. Float seemed OK but
replaced it anyway and also replaced the accelerator pump. Engine ('98,
350, 300hp crate motor) now runs like a top!
I don't know if these are the same carbs or not but probably the same or
very close. I'd get the # off the carb and try the autoparts first.
LD

"Bowgus" wrote in message
s.com...
I may pull the air horn and check out the inlet needle and seat ($11.00)

and
the float ($23.00). But what I'm gonna try first is a shut off valve so

that
when the problem occurs, I can shut off the fuel, burn off what's in the
carb, then turn on the fuel again ... the plan being that the incoming

fuel
will clear the seat if there's something there or free the float if it's
stuck. I prefer not to rebuild since I don't need to and since normally

the
carb runs just fine ... idle, primaries, secondaries, power ... there's
always the risk that a new problem will be introduced.

nk.net...

"Rich" wrote in message
news There is no way to fix it without taking the top off. Sounds like

you
need
a new needle and seat, maybe float too.

Rich