martin rheaume

Default Error in starting sequence

We have a problem with the last race we sailed on Sunday. The problem
involves an error in the starting sequence. We are all agreed on the facts
of what happened but are not sure about the solution.

The facts a
1. The committee boat and six boats were prepared for the race.
2. The horn was sounded and raised the class flag at 5 minutes.
3. The horn was sounded and raised the preparatory flag at 4 minutes.
4. The horn was sounded and lowered the preparatory flag at 2 minutes before
the presumed start time instead of 1 minute before the presumed start time.
5. At 1 minute before the presumed start time the commite boat lowered the
class flag and sounded the horn.

6. Several skippers took this to be the start signal; however, one skipper
and perhaps more, waited for the signal at the correct time.

7. We sailed the race and finished it

8. On returning to the dock, one skipper intended to protest either all of
the skippers for being over early or the race committee for starting the
race incorrectly. I agreed that the race had been started incorrectly but
did not think that anyone had been over early.

I have looked at the rules since I got home and I think that the case can be
dealt with under
Rule 62 Redress. This provides that a race committee may decide to hear a
request for redress if it decides that a boat's score has, through no fault
of her own, been made significantly worse by "a. an improper action or
omission of the race committee or organizing authority."

Rule 64.2 Decisions for redress states that the committee shall make as fair
a decision as possible for all boats affected whether or not they asked for
redress. This may be to adjust the scoring (see rule A10 for some examples)
or finishing times of the boats, to abandon the race, to let the results
stand or to make some other arrangements.

My copy of the Eric Twiname, "The Rules Book, 2005-2008" comments on these
rules "...giving redress means making as fair an arrangement as possible for
all boats affected, not just the one asking for redress. Sometines this
means letting the results stand. Usually it means adjusting the points for
the boat asking for redress. Very rarely is cancelling the race the best
solution." page 89

I think that the decision in this case will also be affected by rule 32,
Shortening or abandoning after the start. This rule states that after the
starting signal the committee may abandon the race "because of an error in
the starting procedure." or for other reasons. "However, after one boat has
sailed the course and finished within the time limit, if any, the race
committee shall not abandon the race without considering the consequences
for all boats in the race or series." page 108

Given the opinion in Twiname's book and the caution in rule 32 it seem to me
that the abandoning the race would be an extreme measure.

Also I think that the argument that boats which started when the class flag
was lowered were over early is not valid because they were following the
signals given even though the signals were timed incorrectly.

Rule A10, which was referred above, suggests that the boat seeking redress
have its score adjusted on the basis of its average finish in the series in
which it was sailing. (Page 132 in Twiname). I would support a decision that
saw the boats which waited for the correct time of the start awarded their
average finish in the series as redress in this race. I think that this
would apply to Noel, to Wayne Barclay and possibly to some of the other
skippers.

Can you let me know what you think ?

--
-----------------
Martin

Malcolm Osborne

We had a very similar problem in the first race of a National Championships
recently.

Redress was applied for by a boat who was a bit far from the line when the
(premature) start signal went off.

Rightly or wrongly, the decision was to abandon the race, as it was
difficult to determine who was and who wasn't affected by this error.

--
Malcolm Osborne
Benoni, South Africa

.. .