DSK

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

It was just the combination of swept wings and the maneuvers - for a
freakin' model, that's really impressive.

Yes, it's VERY impressive. I wonder if he has telemtry and/or a better
than stad range control transmitter. It would suck to lose that model...
it has the fastest landing speed of any RC model I've seen.

Did the gear come up? I wasn't sure, on that outside loop it looked like
the gear was up but it was hard to see. I definitely didn't see the
wings sweep back.

It's a shame the Navy only has one squadron of these still flying.
They're really expensive, and getting old, but they are still the best
naval air combat platform... by far.

DSK

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:53:48 -0400, DSK wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

It was just the combination of swept wings and the maneuvers - for a
freakin' model, that's really impressive.

Yes, it's VERY impressive. I wonder if he has telemtry and/or a better
than stad range control transmitter. It would suck to lose that model...
it has the fastest landing speed of any RC model I've seen.

Did the gear come up? I wasn't sure, on that outside loop it looked like
the gear was up but it was hard to see. I definitely didn't see the
wings sweep back.

It's a shame the Navy only has one squadron of these still flying.
They're really expensive, and getting old, but they are still the best
naval air combat platform... by far.

F/A 18 E is the next best replacement and from what I hear, it's
everything the Tomcat was, even if it's a little smaller.
DSK

It's a shame the Navy only has one squadron of these still flying.
They're really expensive, and getting old, but they are still the best
naval air combat platform... by far.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
F/A 18 E is the next best replacement and from what I hear, it's
everything the Tomcat was, even if it's a little smaller.

Who have you been listening to? Not anybody that's flown both planes, or
even watched both... in fact, you kinda get an idea which way the game
is slanted just from casting an eye over the specs.

The F/A-18 is smaller, cheaper, slower, less powerful, can't support an
equally capable sensor suite (although they do have some pretty cool
underwing pods), nor carry the same weapons, nor a similar ammo load.
They *are* better at ground attack, and for air support roles, but not
by a heck of a lot.

However, the Hornet is definitely cheaper & newer. Far less maintenance
intensive to keep in service, too.

Another issue (and by a strange quirk of synchronicity, I was in a
discussion about this very thing this morning) is whether we need the
Tomcat, since we are no longer worried about carrier battle groups being
swamped by hordes of Russian ground-based naval attack planes. But with
a military that gave up the A-10 Warthog, I am very dubious about the
wisdom of simply dropping from service the best, bar none, naval air
combat plane ever developed.

DSK

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:27:14 -0400, DSK wrote:

Who have you been listening to?

My son.
Bert Robbins

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

It was just the combination of swept wings and the maneuvers - for a
freakin' model, that's really impressive.

Yes, it's VERY impressive. I wonder if he has telemtry and/or a better
than stad range control transmitter. It would suck to lose that model...
it has the fastest landing speed of any RC model I've seen.

Did the gear come up? I wasn't sure, on that outside loop it looked like
the gear was up but it was hard to see. I definitely didn't see the wings
sweep back.

It's a shame the Navy only has one squadron of these still flying. They're
really expensive, and getting old, but they are still the best naval air
combat platform... by far.

I wasn't aware that the Navy only had one squadron still flying the F-14's.
I was under the impression that the F/A-18 E/F SuperHornet's were still
working their way into the line squadrons of the USN and USMC.

Bert Robbins

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:27:14 -0400, DSK wrote:

Who have you been listening to?

My son.

I have a cousin flying the F-18 C's.

DSK

Bert Robbins wrote:
I wasn't aware that the Navy only had one squadron still flying the F-14's.
I was under the impression that the F/A-18 E/F SuperHornet's were still
working their way into the line squadrons of the USN and USMC.

http://www.boeing.com/history/mdc/fa-18.htm

The F/A 18 flew almost thirty years ago. They were deployed in the late
1980s and have been front-line service for over ten years.

Need to do a little catching up?

DSK

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:17:07 -0400, DSK wrote:

Bert Robbins wrote:
I wasn't aware that the Navy only had one squadron still flying the F-14's.
I was under the impression that the F/A-18 E/F SuperHornet's were still
working their way into the line squadrons of the USN and USMC.

http://www.boeing.com/history/mdc/fa-18.htm

The F/A 18 flew almost thirty years ago. They were deployed in the late
1980s and have been front-line service for over ten years.

Need to do a little catching up?

No - I don't think so.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avhorn2.html#m2
Don White

DSK wrote:
Bert Robbins wrote:

I wasn't aware that the Navy only had one squadron still flying the
F-14's. I was under the impression that the F/A-18 E/F SuperHornet's
were still working their way into the line squadrons of the USN and USMC.

http://www.boeing.com/history/mdc/fa-18.htm

The F/A 18 flew almost thirty years ago. They were deployed in the late
1980s and have been front-line service for over ten years.

Need to do a little catching up?

DSK

Poor Bert. Even the Canadian Military have been flying the F18's for
years. As a matter of fact, most need serious updating as their systems
are considered obsolete.
DSK

Need to do a little catching up?

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
No - I don't think so.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avhorn2.html#m2

Want to take a second look? You seem to be confused between the Hornet
and the Super Hornet.

Even the Super Hornet is still not really a match for the F-14 Tomcat,
which can fly rings around anything except the F-15, and can give that
one a run for it's money.

DSK