Shortwave Sportfishing

Default HOLY S**T!!!!!!

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:27:04 -0400, HarryKrause
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

Tom, there's a fella on DIY TV with a radio control model show. If you
can locate his web site, he has lotsa info on large, RC-controlled jets,
and has done a few shows on them. If you are not a skilled RC flier,
though, you might want to start with something a lot slower.

I've seen that show - pretty cool.

It was just the combination of swept wings and the maneuvers - for a
freakin' model, that's really impressive.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:33:01 GMT, Ignoramus9053
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:27:04 -0400, HarryKrause wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

Tom, there's a fella on DIY TV with a radio control model show. If you
can locate his web site, he has lotsa info on large, RC-controlled jets,
and has done a few shows on them. If you are not a skilled RC flier,
though, you might want to start with something a lot slower.

I wonder why terrorists have not used these RC planes yet.

Range probably.

thunder

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:27:04 -0400, HarryKrause wrote:

Tom, there's a fella on DIY TV with a radio control model show. If you can
locate his web site, he has lotsa info on large, RC-controlled jets, and
has done a few shows on them. If you are not a skilled RC flier, though,
you might want to start with something a lot slower.

I was talking to an RC flier a few years back. It seems it is not
uncommon to lose a model. When flying, they can get out of radio range.
The end result is to watch the model, and all the hours it took to build,
fly off into the sunset. Ouch!
John H

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:09:59 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

Truly Awesome! Thanks.
--
John H

Jack Goff

wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/f14model.html

Tom, there's a fella on DIY TV with a radio control model show. If you
can locate his web site, he has lotsa info on large, RC-controlled jets,
and has done a few shows on them. If you are not a skilled RC flier,
though, you might want to start with something a lot slower.

I wonder why terrorists have not used these RC planes yet.

You have to be able to see it to fly it. That, coupled with the fact that
they really can't carry much of a payload, renders them pretty much useless
for terrorist.

The jets are pretty cool, though. Lots of money tied up in one... the
engines are $3000 and up, so that guy probably had almost $10k in that
model. They are capable of well over 200mph, which makes them a challenge
to fly. They get small pretty fast.

Unbelievable describes what the model helicopters are capable of. They can
do things that the full size guys can't dream of. Like hover... upside
down! Inches above the grass. And do full-speed-ahead tail over nose
tumbles. They are the most difficult to learn to fly... it's kind of like
trying to sit on top of a huge beach ball and keep your balance. Only far
more difficult.

Jack

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:23:44 GMT, "Jack Goff" wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

I'm very envious of folks who can fly those things - I don't have the
hand/eye coordination to do it properly.

I've seen some models do some really interesting things like those
helicopters. This model just amazed me - swing wings and everything.
I can't imagine the time and effort that would go into something like
that.

I suppose it's comparable to making custom rods and lures.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:32:56 GMT, Ignoramus9053
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Here's where a good computer program could do very well. A program
coupled with a small gyro position sensor for orientation, plus a GPS
for determining the location and direction of movement, could drive
the plane.

I don't know how true this is, but rumor had it that one of the
reasons for the delay in producing the Playstation 2 was a revamp of
the graphics chip and firmware - supposedly it was perfect for the
kind of thing you described.
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:53:20 -0400, HarryKrause
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

I think you should get four of those larger jet engines and install them
on the tee-top on your new boat...just fire them off as you head out the
harbors...and make a lasting impression. You could adapt some rocket
launchers as jet engine holders. And if your main entines failed, as
Karen of Oz insists they will...well...you get the picture!

Speaking of Karen's screeds on FICHT, last week I took the Contender
out for a run and when I got back to the marina, there was a fellow
who helped my put it back in it's slip. He looked the boat over and
after looking at the E-TECs he says to me - hey, those are just
revamped FICHTS right?

Cut to the end of the conversation, I asked him if he had ever owned a
FICHT - no. Know anybody who had owned one? No. So what do you base
your opinion on? Well, everybody knows.........

Idiots.
Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. In the four+ seasons I ran a Merc OptiMax, I kept waiting for it
to explode but, alas, nothing happened. I simply had the engine
maintained properly, used the proper oil, and ran the motor properly.
When it came time to sell the rig, I got the price I wanted, and took no
hit because it was OptiMax powered.

Well, I can say I've seen a couple - certainly not more than one or
two, with that Optimax problem, but those were bass boats and we all
know what kind of idiots bass fishermen are. :)

I see dozens of guys down here out fishing with Ficht or OptiMax powered
boats. The ones I see stuck at the ramps are the guys with I/O's, or
outboards from the early 1980s that are just plain worn out, hard to
start and smokey when they do start running.

Don't see many FICHTs up around here with the exception of mine and a
couple of bull rakers who have them. Lots of carbed Merc's
(Sal****er) and Yamahas in their various incarnations.