Default Maxum Boats

I was looking into purchasing a 2002 used Maxum 1800 boat. Does anyone
have any advice or comments on this type of boat? I havn't heard too
much about Maxum boats. Thanks

Skippy

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 1 Jul 2005 14:07:04 -0700, wrote:

Not a blue water battle wagon,

I love that turn of phrase.
*JimH*

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I was looking into purchasing a 2002 used Maxum 1800 boat. Does anyone
have any advice or comments on this type of boat? I havn't heard too
much about Maxum boats. Thanks

Skippy

Brunswick product. Among Brunswick runabouts, Maxum is something of an
intermediate step between the bang-for-the-buck Bayliners and the more
elaborate Sea Rays.

Not a blue water battle wagon, but should more than adequately stout
for any reasonable application where an 18-foot boat would be
appropriate.
Many people wouldn't consider Maxum a premium brand, but then again
they aren't priced in the stratosphere either. Unless you're a real
nit-picker, you could be very satisfied with the build, the fit, and
the finish of a Maxum and have a heck of a good time enjoying it.

That 18-footer could have sold to a first-time boater back in 2002
(based on the size as much as the brand) so you'll want to make sure
that it was properly maintained.

IMO, once a boat that started out as a reasonably decent choice (like a
Maxum runabout) gets to be a few years old the differences in how that
boat has been serviced, used, and maintained will become more important
than the often minor technical differences that originally existed
between it and Brand X.

Being a former Maxum owner (3200 SCR) I would agree with your assessment
Chuck.

Skippy, keep in mind that the construction quality of all models in the
Maxum line is not equal. I would have rated our 3200 as middle of the road
(yet more than adequate for our needs and in some cases superior to the more
expensive comparable SeaRay model) yet Pascoe rated a 1998 4600 with 4
stars.

Shop around a bit before you fall in love with that Maxum, although it may
end up being the best buy of the bunch.

Make sure you get it surveyed (structural and mechanical) by a reputable
independent surveyor.

Good luck and have fun on whatever boat you buy.