Joe

Default Question about Maxum Boats?

I am interested in buying a Maxum 1800mx. The price that the
dealership is asking is $12999. Can anyone tell me if you can haggle
the price down? And if so, how much down for a boat like this. I am
new to buying a boat and would really appreciate any advice that
anyone might have. Thanks.
Bert Robbins

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I am interested in buying a Maxum 1800mx. The price that the
dealership is asking is $12999. Can anyone tell me if you can haggle
the price down? And if so, how much down for a boat like this. I am
new to buying a boat and would really appreciate any advice that
anyone might have. Thanks.

The dealer has the boat, you have the money. You both have what the other
wants. Now it is a matter of how much of your money the dealer wants.

Gould 0738

I am interested in buying a Maxum 1800mx. The price that the
dealership is asking is $12999.

More info needed.

Is this a brand new boat?

Does the price include a trailer?

There is always some room in the price, but oftentimes the dealer discount from
list on the entry level models is a lot less than on some of the other boats.
If you're coming in at $13k for a brand new boat with a trailer, there's less
ham on the bone
than you might assume.

If you're dealing from MSRP, rather than from some amplified dealer list, there
could be 15% or less gross built in on the low-end promotionally priced
model.....and if you don't let the dealer keep a chunk of that he's probably
going to keep the boat instead.

Also. make sure you're dickering on the final price of the boat equipped the
way you want it. If you buy the boat for absolute wholesale, and then start
paying
2 or 3 times retail for this "package" or that.....($300 for a $99 anchor, for
instance)....that "great deal" sours in a hurry.

Here's a link to some late model, used, 18-foot Maxums. Most are listed well
above $13,000.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ts.jsp?cit=tru
e&slim=quick&sm=3&is=false&type=%28Power%29&man=Ma xum&luom=126&fromLength=
18&toLength=18&fromYear=&toYear=&currencyid=100&fr omPrice=&toPrice=
Tuuk

Yes, most certainly you can work the dealer down a ways, there is a lot of
room for movement and in marine industry the margins are very high. Only
problem is for you that it is peak time to buy, he/she knows that and
someone behind you might want that boat more than you. If he has it listed
for 13k, then you are sure that his costs of goods is probably around 9k,
but he/she will also have additions on the sale, they will charge you the 60
per hour to rig it up etc etc, prepare it for the waters, they will want to
soak you for at least 6 hours there, then rope, etc etc.
Do what Harry would do, even thought the boat is union made in America, look
offshore for the same thing cheaper, then all those extras, Harry would go
offshore to further screw his local brotherhood of slobs.
So watch how the 13k will surely skyrocket under his/her control, should you
control and make the deal, I would offer 9k for the boat, motor, tarp,
cover, ask him to throw in two life jackets, anchor and rope, prepare the
boat yourself (unless it voids warranty, they will try to get you on that
one also).
I think you would be very successfully squeezing this way in the fall, but
like I said earlier, it is the spring and they have a little more bargain
power, you might have to go to 11k, throw in all accessories, ropes,
anchors, cover, life jackets, trailer, etc etc. But you sure do have
movement, big movement. I know all the dealers around me, and yes their
margins are that high, yes they will try to sting you for the highest amount
they can sting you for, so it is up to you and your "value" you want out of
the boat.
good luck