BoatBanter.com

-   -   Vehicle for Towing boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4565-vehicle-towing-boat.html)

V Crenshaw May 15th 04 04:49 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

My husband and I have a 21 foot Searay. We have it in a slip at a marina
now.
Together it and the trailer weighs 3000 lbs.

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Truck would be great for everything except the people and fuel. We were
thinking about
a minivan, but don't know how good it would be at towing the boat and more
specifically
launching the boat. I say minivan because he likes them better than SUV's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

V Crenshaw

John H May 15th 04 05:07 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:49:16 GMT, "V Crenshaw" wrote:

[...]

Here you go:
http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...geName=#model2

I don't have the crew cab, but I love mine.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

trainfan1 May 15th 04 06:52 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

V Crenshaw wrote:

[...]

1. Toyota Sienna.

2. Honda Odyssey.

I'm not really a big fan of either marque (I am a die-hard in the Ford
camp), but these get the job done well. They have like 220-240 hp V-6
engines and very respectable towing ratings, lots of room for passengers
and/or cargo, and neither one really seems like the stereotypical
mini-van in handling & appearance. My first choice would be the Sienna.

Rob

Doug Kanter May 15th 04 07:58 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You should get better mileage with a "normal" transmission like you'll find
in minivans, as opposed to the truck gear ratios in SUVs & pickups. If you
insisted on a pickup, take a look at the Toyota Tundra. I believe they make
a double cab. I've got the double cab Tacoma (smaller), and it's quite
comfortable for passengers in the back, even my 6'1" son who refuses to stop
growing. But, I'm not sure if it'll be happy towing 3000 lbs on a regular
basis.

Tony Thomas May 15th 04 08:41 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of 3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all your stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or more) for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at 4500 lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you will not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

m...

Ree-Yees May 16th 04 12:06 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

How far are you going to have to drive to get to your drop in point? That
can make a big difference too, whether you will be driving right down the
road or out in the interstate.

--C

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

m...

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 01:31 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:41:21 GMT, "Tony Thomas"

wrote:

First of all - I think you have drastically underestimated the weight.
According to the SeaRay website - the 21' Sport has a dry weight of 3150
lbs. Add 40 gallons of fuel (240 lbs) battery, life jackets, all your

stuff
and your at 3500 lbs for the boat. Now add another 1000 lbs (or more)

for
the 21' trailer (I assume it is tandem axle w/ brakes) and your at 4500

lbs.
4500 lbs is way too much for a minivan to tow and not destroy the
transmission.
Look at SUVs or 4 door trucks. And remember, if the vehicle is rated for
4900 lbs, 4500 is going to be a real load at highway speeds and you will

not
maintain 70 mph going up an kind of a hill. You need something rated for
5500 lbs or so to make it a comfortable tow.

Based on the weight calculated by Tony, you'll need a tow vehicle with a

V8.
BTW, for my 21' Center console I bought a LoadRite galvanized, tandem-axle
trailer with disk brakes on all four wheels last fall and it weighs 1,250
pounds. The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next. You can get either one with an
extended cab or a double-size cab. For an SUV, the Toyota 4-Runner rates
very high and it has been available with a V8 beginning with the 2003

model
year.

Based on what I hear from an acquaintance who visits the 3 American
manufacturers, helping them set up their machining equipment:

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's lot.
Chevy & Chrysler aren't far behind.

May 16th 04 01:33 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Darn, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Ford 302 with pistons off sized
by feet instead of thousandth's of an inch....

That would be amazing to see....

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam May 16th 04 02:51 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:29:00 GMT, something compelled
, to say:

The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next.

I don't tow with my F-150, but I can say that it's a '94, has
more than 140,000 miles on it, and has yet to let me down. I put
in a new clutch at 130,000, and had the front end rebuilt at
about 115,000.

It still looks good, starts without hesitation, doesn't rattle,
and everything still works. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one
to anyone.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam May 16th 04 02:55 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:31:00 GMT, something compelled "Doug
Kanter" , to say:

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's lot.

Yeah, I heard that. It's why I insisted on an F-150 built by
elves in Switzerland. One hundred forty thousand miles later its
lederhosen has yet to fall down around its ankles.

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 02:55 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:29:00 GMT, something compelled
, to say:

The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next.

I don't tow with my F-150, but I can say that it's a '94, has
more than 140,000 miles on it, and has yet to let me down. I put
in a new clutch at 130,000, and had the front end rebuilt at
about 115,000.

It still looks good, starts without hesitation, doesn't rattle,
and everything still works. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one
to anyone.

What do you mean by "front end rebuilt"?

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam May 16th 04 03:30 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:55:41 GMT, something compelled "Doug
Kanter" , to say:

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:29:00 GMT, something compelled
, to say:

The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next.

I don't tow with my F-150, but I can say that it's a '94, has
more than 140,000 miles on it, and has yet to let me down.

What do you mean by "front end rebuilt"?

It was pulling to the right quite severely, and wearing out the
tires. I took it in for an alignment, and was informed that
several parts had worn to the point where they would have to be
replaced before an alignment would work. I had the front brakes
done at the same time, and paid about $1000 when it was all done.

I don't remember which parts were replaced, but I'd think that
for $1000 worth of work, rebuilt is the proper word.

Wayne.B May 16th 04 03:36 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:29:00 GMT, wrote:

The Tundra has the best reliability rating in "Consumer Reports"
magazine and the Ford F-150 is next.

I have a 2002 Tundra, V8/4wd/extended cab, with 45,000 miles on it.
It has been a great vehicle so far and rated for 7,200 lbs towing. We
pulled our 24 ft I/O cuddy 1300 miles from CT to FL last year with no
problems at all. Total weight was about 6,500 with boat and trailer.
No problem maintaining 70+ on the Interstates, used no oil, and got
about 9mpg towing. Normal mileage is about 15 mpg. The Tundra has a
VERY nice engine - overhead cams, fuel injection and distributorless
electronic ignition. If it turns out anything like my old 1992 Camry
it will go 100,000 miles before it needs a tune up and new plugs.

Bill Kiene May 16th 04 07:07 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Hello V,

The minivans all tow about 3500# max with a trailer towing package. That is
cutting it pretty close.

A Toyota Tacoma double cab with a V6 and a towing package can pull ~5000#
max.

To be safe I would think that you would want to have a vehicle that can tow
~5000#.

This will probably be a 4 door pickup or an SUV ? but they won't get 30mpg
on the free way. Maybe 20 not pulling.

If you don't need to tow your boat all the time, I would get a new mini van
and get someone to pull your boat.

Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

m...

Slambram May 16th 04 07:31 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

wrote:

[...]

You do NOT want anything with front wheel drive if you plan on
launching and retrieving your boat at a ramp. This rules out most
minivans. The only ones I remember being RWD were the old Aerostars
and Safaris. Especially on steeper ramps, all of the weight will be
shifted away from your front wheels and you'll get no traction. I
usually only see FWD vehicles launching jet-skis and small fishing
boats. As a matter of fact, a few years ago a FWD minivan ended up at
the bottom of the lake at the ramp I go to because he lost traction...

Paul Schilter May 16th 04 11:53 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Doug,
For the record Ford's engines are measured in microns. The leaking oil
issue hasn't been around for years. Have you driven a Ford lately?
Paul

Marshall Banana May 16th 04 12:48 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Also Sprach V Crenshaw :

We are going to buy a new vehicle and we are trying to decide what kind
would
most closely meet our criteria of
1) hauling misc things like building materials, tools, an occasional
sofa or washing machine
2) Holding 4 or more people
3) towing the boat
4) As fuel efficent as possible

Easy. You want a diesel Suburban. To me, "building materials" means the
ability to carry multiple 4X8 sheets of plywood or drywall or
whatever. You're not going to do that with a minivan or short SUV. 4 or
more people means a standard pickup won't do, and a full-bed crewcab is an
ungodly huge vehicle. A 3000 lb boat is really stretching a minivan to
it's limit, but will be very comfotable behind a 'burb. As far as fuel
efficiency goes, a friend of mine with a '97 Diesel 3/4 ton 2WD gets 21
MPG, which Is far better than the 17 MPG I used to get with a much
smaller Nissan Pathfinder. Now, I have a 1990 Suburban, regular gas, 3/4
Ton 4X4 and get 12-14, or 8 if towing the boat... but's that's why I keep
my VW as a daily driver.

--
I shoot for the moon, but sometimes I hit London

-- Werner von Braun

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 01:09 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Doug,
For the record Ford's engines are measured in microns. The leaking oil
issue hasn't been around for years. Have you driven a Ford lately?
Paul

I've driven behind them. New ones smell like they're old. Very strange.

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 01:10 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

[...]

Agreed. At 140K, that kind of rebuild shouldn't be necessary, unless you're
racing it offroad or some such thing.

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 01:14 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
om...
Hello V,

The minivans all tow about 3500# max with a trailer towing package. That

is
cutting it pretty close.

A Toyota Tacoma double cab with a V6 and a towing package can pull ~5000#
max.

To be safe I would think that you would want to have a vehicle that can

tow
~5000#.

This will probably be a 4 door pickup or an SUV ? but they won't get 30mpg
on the free way. Maybe 20 not pulling.

If you don't need to tow your boat all the time, I would get a new mini

van
and get someone to pull your boat.

Bill Kiene

As a benchmark for the OP, my Tacoma gets 20-21 mpg on the highway NOT
towing, assuming I pay very close attention to when to use cruise control,
and when cc is NOT the best idea. Measured this on about 30 identical 200
mile trips.

Doug Kanter May 16th 04 01:17 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

wrote:

[...]

He might check out the Crown Victoria. Rear wheel drive, and there's an
upgrade suspension available that's VERY nice - eliminates the "grandpa"
ride and makes the car almost the same as a police car. Comes with
self-leveling rear shocks. He'll get 25-28 mpg on the highway while NOT
towing. The major caveat is that at least as of two years ago, there was an
issue with the gas tank being more susceptible to igniting in high speed
rear-end collisions. A temporary fix was devised at the time while Ford
looked for a more elegant modification.

V Crenshaw May 16th 04 02:22 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Well no, it is a 1989 200 Bowrider, 2500 lb. Custom trailer is 500 lbs as
stated on the sale receipt and label on
the trailer (not tandam axle/brakes) You are right about the gas and
contents.

My MIL pulls her 19ft Cuddy cabin behind her Chevy 1500 and then pulled ours
to the marinia. She said pulling
ours is nothing like pulling hers, felt like it wasn't even there.

Actually, my ex-husband used to pull it some behind his Chevy Impala which
was only rated at 2000 lbs!! He got lucky
that it didn't damage his car.

Thanks to all who replied. That gives us some good ideas.

[...]

m...

trainfan1 May 16th 04 03:40 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Doug Kanter wrote:

He might check out the Crown Victoria. Rear wheel drive, and there's an
upgrade suspension available that's VERY nice - eliminates the "grandpa"
ride and makes the car almost the same as a police car. Comes with
self-leveling rear shocks. He'll get 25-28 mpg on the highway while NOT
towing. The major caveat is that at least as of two years ago, there was an
issue with the gas tank being more susceptible to igniting in high speed
rear-end collisions. A temporary fix was devised at the time while Ford
looked for a more elegant modification.

Unfortunately, while capable of 5000 lbs, the Crown Vic is only rated to
2000 lbs. since 1995, even with the 41G package you reference.

Rob

CCred68046 May 16th 04 04:53 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Toyota Four Runner with the V-8.
2 wheel drive nice. 4 wheel drive perfect.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam May 16th 04 05:20 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:10:44 GMT, something compelled "Doug
Kanter" , to say:

Agreed. At 140K, that kind of rebuild shouldn't be necessary, unless you're
racing it offroad or some such thing.

whatever.

Joe Blizzard May 16th 04 06:31 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"V Crenshaw" wrote
You do NOT want anything with front wheel drive

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Don't forget to take free advice (including mine) for what it's worth. I
regularly pull my portly old 18' runabout up a steep ramp using my front
wheel drive Taurus wagon with no trouble atoll. When the pickup truck guys
have traction trouble, guess which wheels they lock in to get things going?
This is not to say you shouldn't get a big truck or suburban or something if
you can afford it, (I'd love to have one just for towing), but if you have
to make do with a compromise, you can. I don't take my boat on long trips
behind the Taurus, by the way, just ~10 miles to and from the ramp to plop
it in and pluck it out of the water.

trainfan1 May 17th 04 01:51 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Joe Blizzard wrote:
"V Crenshaw" wrote

You do NOT want anything with front wheel drive

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Don't forget to take free advice (including mine) for what it's worth. I
regularly pull my portly old 18' runabout up a steep ramp using my front
wheel drive Taurus wagon with no trouble atoll. When the pickup truck guys
have traction trouble, guess which wheels they lock in to get things going?
This is not to say you shouldn't get a big truck or suburban or something if
you can afford it, (I'd love to have one just for towing), but if you have
to make do with a compromise, you can. I don't take my boat on long trips
behind the Taurus, by the way, just ~10 miles to and from the ramp to plop
it in and pluck it out of the water.

Ditto.

Our 2 Taurus wagons have been superb tow vehicles including launch ramp
performance.

Rob

RGrew176 May 17th 04 03:44 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Doug Kanter"

Keep in mind that Ford's engine manufacturing tolerances are measures in
feet, instead of thousandths of an inch, like Toyota's. So, even if Ford's
reliability ratings are close to Toyota's, the Ford will be puking burnt

oil
out of the tailpipe from the minute it's driven away from the dealer's

lot.
Chevy & Chrysler aren't far behind.

Something must be terribly wrong with my old 89 F-150 with the 5.0 (302)
engine. 294000 miles and still not burning a drop of oil. It has been used as a
tow vehicle too.

Doug Kanter May 17th 04 12:22 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
"V Crenshaw" wrote
You do NOT want anything with front wheel drive

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Don't forget to take free advice (including mine) for what it's worth. I
regularly pull my portly old 18' runabout up a steep ramp using my front
wheel drive Taurus wagon with no trouble atoll. When the pickup truck guys
have traction trouble, guess which wheels they lock in to get things

going?
This is not to say you shouldn't get a big truck or suburban or something

if
you can afford it, (I'd love to have one just for towing), but if you have
to make do with a compromise, you can. I don't take my boat on long trips
behind the Taurus, by the way, just ~10 miles to and from the ramp to plop
it in and pluck it out of the water.

Just before I decided to get rid of my Taurus, my mechanic suggested simply
changing the physics of the car a bit by adding air shocks in the rear. My
experience was like yours - the car did pretty well, maybe due to its
weight. Not great in all conditions, but not too bad, either.

Not Likely May 17th 04 04:22 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

I think you should re-check the weight. It is hard to believe a 21'
boat + trailer + tare (all the stuff inside including gas) is only
3000 lbs.

Bob

Calif Bill May 17th 04 07:21 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:55:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

.. .

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...home&pageName=

#model2

I don't have the crew cab, but I love mine.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

How old is it?

It's a '95.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

I have a 2004 Chevy crew cab and love it. Just took a 700 mile round trip
this weekend with the camper on the truck and averaged a little less than
than 16 mpg at 70 mph. this included a lot of mountain running. SF bay
area to Eureka, Calif for a graduation ceremony. Mine is a 3/4T diesel.
And just turned over 2k miles when getting home last night. The crew cab
will carry 5 people in comfort, and haul all the rest of the stuff. My 99
Expedition will carry 8 people, but would have trouble with the rest of the
stuff. Messes up the leather.
Bill

Camilo May 17th 04 08:10 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"V Crenshaw" wrote in message
m...
Well no, it is a 1989 200 Bowrider, 2500 lb. Custom trailer is 500 lbs as
stated on the sale receipt and label on
the trailer (not tandam axle/brakes) You are right about the gas and
contents.

I might have missed it in the thread - for a boat this weight a minivan like
a Chevy Astro (and it's GM counterpart) would pull it. I don't even know if
they make them anymore. But those vans were/are? built on a truck chassis,
so the capacity would be there. Reliability, repair records, etc. are a
different story. FWIW

Cam

Camilo May 17th 04 08:12 PM

Vehicle for Towing boat

PS: rather than argue with the folks who think you might be underestimating
the weight, I'd suggest taking it to a scale and actually weighing it - full
of gas and all the gear you might be trailering. Even if you're confident
about the wt. estimate (which it sounds like it's a reasonable estimate to
me), it's still a good idea before you actually narrow your vehicle choices.
The data might help you narrow the field.

C.

Marshall Banana May 18th 04 01:48 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Also Sprach Not:

I think you should re-check the weight. It is hard to believe a 21'
boat + trailer + tare (all the stuff inside including gas) is only
3000 lbs.

I tend to agree.. My pop has a 21' Whaler Outrage center console with a
175 HP Evinrude OB and two 18 gallon fuel tanks, on a galvanized EZ
Loader. Fully fueled, the boat and trailer weigh 3450 lbs on a certified
scale. I would think a 21 foot cuddy cabin with a sterndrive would weigh
more than a 21' center console with an outboard. FYI, he used to tow it
with a Dodge Caravan, which was on it's third transmission when he sold
it. He "upgraded" to a Lexus RX300, which now has mysteriously lost it's
overdrive.

Dan

--
It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to
need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of

--Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish (Wonko the Sane)

trainfan1 May 18th 04 01:56 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

Marshall Banana wrote:
Also Sprach Not:

I think you should re-check the weight. It is hard to believe a 21'
boat + trailer + tare (all the stuff inside including gas) is only
3000 lbs.

I tend to agree.. My pop has a 21' Whaler Outrage center console with a
175 HP Evinrude OB and two 18 gallon fuel tanks, on a galvanized EZ
Loader. Fully fueled, the boat and trailer weigh 3450 lbs on a certified
scale. I would think a 21 foot cuddy cabin with a sterndrive would weigh
more than a 21' center console with an outboard. FYI, he used to tow it
with a Dodge Caravan, which was on it's third transmission when he sold
it. He "upgraded" to a Lexus RX300, which now has mysteriously lost it's
overdrive.

Dan

The RX300 is supposed to be a pretty decent tow vehicle.

Please post back and let us know how he did with the transmission trouble.

Rob

Doug Kanter May 18th 04 02:21 AM

Vehicle for Towing boat

"Marshall Banana" wrote in message
Also Sprach Not:

I think you should re-check the weight. It is hard to believe a 21'
boat + trailer + tare (all the stuff inside including gas) is only
3000 lbs.

I tend to agree.. My pop has a 21' Whaler Outrage center console with a
175 HP Evinrude OB and two 18 gallon fuel tanks, on a galvanized EZ
Loader. Fully fueled, the boat and trailer weigh 3450 lbs on a certified
scale. I would think a 21 foot cuddy cabin with a sterndrive would weigh
more than a 21' center console with an outboard. FYI, he used to tow it
with a Dodge Caravan, which was on it's third transmission when he sold
it. He "upgraded" to a Lexus RX300, which now has mysteriously lost it's
overdrive.

Does the Lexus have a transmission cooler?