Default OT Suppose Halliburton is Patriotic?

HALLIBURTON
The Devil's in the Details

On Monday, we learned that the many reports of Halliburton's
mistreatment of our soldiers and flagrant waste of taxpayer dollars --
tales sometimes so outrageous they were difficult to believe -- were
actually just scratching the surface. A new report spearheaded by Rep.
Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND) uncovered startling
new details about Halliburton's misdeeds, including the fact that the
amount of taxpayer funds lost to Halliburton is "more than twice as
high as those in previous official reports." Indeed, the level of
mismanagement of Halliburton's work in Iraq calls into question not
simply the Bush administration's fiscal priorities, but the value it
places on respecting our soldiers and its management of the war in
general.

THE 'MOST BLATANT AND IMPROPER' ABUSE: "Among the costs that Pentagon
auditors questioned were $152,000 in 'movie library costs,' a $1.5
million tailoring bill that auditors deemed higher than reasonable,
more than $560,000 worth of heavy equipment that was considered
unnecessary, and two multimillion-dollar transportation bills that
appeared to overlap." In total, more than $1 billion in funds paid to
Halliburton were found by auditors to be "questioned," "unreasonable in
amount," "inflated," or "excessive," while another $422 million were
"unsupported" by the documentation provided by Halliburton. (Even if
Halliburton were paid half of the disputed charges that would come from
appropriated taxpayer funds, the remainder would be enough to buy more
than 3,000 armored Humvees for U.S. troops at $140,000 each.) Despite
being advised not to attend the hearings, Bunnatine Greenhouse, the
senior civilian contracting official of the Army Corps of Engineers,
testified on Monday that Halliburton's actions were "the most blatant
and improper contract abuse I have witnessed during the course of my
professional career."

TROOPS SERVED ROTTEN, YEAR-OLD FOOD: A former food manager in Iraq for
Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root (KBR) testified that the
dining hall where he worked in early 2004 routinely served foods that
were "outdated or expired as much as a year," or that had been removed
from trucks whose convoys had been attacked. "[W]e were told to go into
the trucks and remove the food items and use them after removing the
bullets and any shrapnel from the bad food that was hit," the manager,
Rory Mayberry, said. Yet during the same period, approximately three
times each week, "KBR would cater events for KBR employees, like
management parties and barbecues" where sanitary food was served.
(Mayberry added, "Government auditors would have caught and fixed many
of the problems. But KBR managers told us not to speak with auditors.")

EMPLOYEES ORDERED TO BETRAY COLLEAGUES: One of the most heinous
revelations of the hearings came from Gary Butters, chairman of
Lloyd-Owen International (LOI), a firm overseeing Kuwaiti-Iraq fuel
transportation that has criticized Halliburton's fuel transport
overcharges. Butters described how, on June 9, 2005, his firm had
undertaken a "high-risk task to deliver dining construction goods" to
the KBR-managed camp in Fallujah. Just a mile or so out from the camp,
he said, "our convoy was ambushed...and we suffered serious casualties
in a near four-hour fight. We lost 3 individuals to direct fire, 7
individuals were injured and on arrival at the US base, one US Military
person was also sadly injured in an attempt to assist." LOI's
subsequent investigation revealed that "KBR Management had taken an
extraordinary decision to instruct their on site staff to offer no
assistance to the Lloyd-Owen personnel in order to unload KBR goods or
prepare for the return journey."

CODDLING THE CULTURE OF CORRUPTION:The Bush administration has thus far
refused to crack down on these abuses. Michael Bopp, staff director of
the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee,
actually told the Washington Post it was a "misguided assumption that
our committee, or any committee, needs to hold a hearing to figure out
what Halliburton is doing in Iraq." Indeed, on many occasions,
Halliburton has been rewarded for regularly bilking Americans. Among
many other examples, Defense Department officials have "overruled the
objections of career officials in awarding contracts to Halliburton;
waived the requirements of federal procurement regulations for
Halliburton without justification; disregarded auditor warnings in
negotiating additional contracts with Halliburton; and provided the
company with millions of dollars in unjustified fees." And, as the
report points out, auditors last year "suggested in a written
memorandum that the Department's failure to take action was encouraging
Halliburton's continued disregard of U.S taxpayer interests."

*JimH*

What is the purpose of this thread Kevin? What does it have to do with
boats?

*JimH* wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread Kevin? What does it have to do with
boats?

I'm not Kevin, but, again, you are too ****ing stupid to figure that
out. Why do you respond to a post that I made, and use the name Kevin
in it, ****stain?

*JimH*

wrote in message
ups.com...

*JimH* wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread Kevin? What does it have to do with
boats?

I'm not Kevin, but, again, you are too ****ing stupid to figure that
out. Why do you respond to a post that I made, and use the name Kevin
in it, ****stain?

Whatever you say Kevin. Potty mouth!

And why do you keep responding to these posts of mine to Kevin if you are
not Kevin?

*JimH* wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread Kevin?

To expose the administration that you fools think can do no wrong.

What does it have to do with
boats?

Nothing. But, alas, apparently you are too damned stupid to figure that
out, because you had to ask the question.

Tim

We're too stupid to realize that these cocksuckers are separating
Americans from their hard-earned money.

Who's "we"?

anyhow....

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12360

thunder

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:24:36 -0700, Tim wrote:

We're too stupid to realize that these cocksuckers are separating
Americans from their hard-earned money.

Who's "we"?

anyhow....

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12360

I guess 19 employees fell off the gravy train. A $1.5 billion contract
for a company that had 50 employees before Iraq. Those dollars are just
flying around.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/wow/b...ct=pro&ddlC=83