Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:55:12 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

.. .
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:13:22 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Yes, it's a boating question. :-) The rechargable batteries that came with
my Raytheon handheld VHF are total crap. It'll take regular AA batteries,
but I'd also like to keep a set of rechargables handy.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's already been through the
mill, as far as buying (and discarding) lousy batteries & chargers, and
finally reaching nirvana with a particular brand that actually works.

Say no more - Panasonic.

I use 'em in everything - work great.

I also buy cheapo alkaline batteries in bulk from BJ's Warehouse from
Fuji - can't kill the damn things - they last forever in my RC400 GPS.
Amazing. Better than the rechargables in some ways.

We also buy the 48 pack of Toshiba's (AA) at Costo for under $10 and they
are also bulletproof.

Them too - also - same as - yes.
trainfan1

wrote:

Yes, it's a boating question. :-) The rechargable batteries that came with
my Raytheon handheld VHF are total crap. It'll take regular AA batteries,
but I'd also like to keep a set of rechargables handy.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's already been through the
mill, as far as buying (and discarding) lousy batteries & chargers, and
finally reaching nirvana with a particular brand that actually works.

Say no more - Panasonic.

I use 'em in everything - work great.

2nd the Panasonics. The NiMh's are up to 2100/2200/2300 MAh in a AA
now, I am still using the 1600's purchased 2.5 years ago w/o a failure.
I put a premium set of AA NiCads custom configured in my Ranger HH VHF
when the original sub-C's gave out, and they are holding up well, but
they will get replaced with the Panasonic NiMh's when they go.

Rob
Doug Kanter

wrote:

Yes, it's a boating question. :-) The rechargable batteries that came
with my Raytheon handheld VHF are total crap. It'll take regular AA
batteries, but I'd also like to keep a set of rechargables handy.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's already been through the
mill, as far as buying (and discarding) lousy batteries & chargers, and
finally reaching nirvana with a particular brand that actually works.

Say no more - Panasonic.

I use 'em in everything - work great.

2nd the Panasonics. The NiMh's are up to 2100/2200/2300 MAh in a AA now,
I am still using the 1600's purchased 2.5 years ago w/o a failure. I put a
premium set of AA NiCads custom configured in my Ranger HH VHF when the
original sub-C's gave out, and they are holding up well, but they will get
replaced with the Panasonic NiMh's when they go.

Rob

Whose charger are you using? I've browsed all over Panasonic's web site and
I find no mention of a charger for common size batteries.

Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

The charger I got with the batteries which I bought at BJ's.

~~ sheesh ~~

trainfan1

Red Cloud® wrote:

Be aware that many devices designed for nicads and alkalines will go a little
nutz with NiMh batteries. The battery "gas gauges" will not reflect true
condition, and in many cases the device will squawk with low battery warnings
even when the batteries are fully and freshly charged. The NiMh batteries have a
different curve. They will start out at a lower voltage, but will stay at that
level for a longer time.

I have a Garmin handheld VHF that was desinged for NiCads. I use NiMh batteries
in the accessory carrier intended for alkalines with no issues after I kill the
alarms. It runs for about 8-10 hours even though the radio insists the batteries
are almost dead the whole time.

rusty redcloud

Using NiCads or NiMh(s) rated at 1.2 volts nominal will do that in
applications designed for 1.5 volts nominal.

I have an older pair of CB walkies that actually took this into
consideration. The battery case holds 10 1.2v AA rechargeables, but to
use alkalines they provided (2) "blanks" the size of AA batteries to
bridge the connection to just 8 AA alkalines, @ 1.5v each.

Rob
trainfan1

Red Cloud® wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:24:56 -0400, trainfan1 wrote:

Red Cloud® wrote:

[...]

The actual issue is whatever the cutoff threshold is set at. Those old walkie
talkies would actually have slightly greater transmit power if you used
batteries in place of the blanks.

rusty redcloud

Maybe. But they are limited to 5 watts in to the finals & 4 watts out
at 13.8 volts.

Rob