Doug Kanter

Default Outboard's a bitch to start....

....when it's cold. This is a 1996 Johnson 15hp 4 stroke, model J15FREDR.
Plugs are a year old. It's got a fresh tank of gas (not the "preserved"
stuff from over the winter. Takes about 3.2 million pulls to get it going.
Once it's been running for a few minutes, it's fine for the rest of the
day - 1 or 2 pulls starts it. What are the first few things to check?

Floyd I Johnson

What are the first few things to check?

Is there an automatic choke that isn't working. Is the manual choke
working?
Is the carb letting the fuel drain out when it sits overnight or longer?
Can you fill up the carb with the fuel-line primer bulb? does it get hard
to squeeze after a couple of pumps?

You could get some of that starting fluid to see if that would get it to
fire up sooner. If it won't fire up with starting fluid, then there might
be another problem.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:13:37 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

...when it's cold. This is a 1996 Johnson 15hp 4 stroke, model J15FREDR.
Plugs are a year old. It's got a fresh tank of gas (not the "preserved"
stuff from over the winter. Takes about 3.2 million pulls to get it going.
Once it's been running for a few minutes, it's fine for the rest of the
day - 1 or 2 pulls starts it. What are the first few things to check?

Yep - it was bound to happen - you are getting too old - can't pull it
fast enough to get it started. ~~ snicker ~~

Check the choke and make sure it's closed. I think that engine has
one of those weirdo inline fuel filters under the cowl, check that,
although it's almost got to be the choke isn't working right.

You are sure you are getting plenty of gas to the carb right? Oil on
the water kind of thing?

In order, I'd check to make sure the plug isn't fouled somehow (which
it might be anyway considering that it's gone through 3.2 million
cycles), check the wire, check the color of the spark, gas/oil stuff -
all the usual suspects.

Air/fuel/ignition - that's all it is.
Doug Kanter

wrote:

...when it's cold. This is a 1996 Johnson 15hp 4 stroke, model J15FREDR.
Plugs are a year old. It's got a fresh tank of gas (not the "preserved"
stuff from over the winter. Takes about 3.2 million pulls to get it going.
Once it's been running for a few minutes, it's fine for the rest of the
day - 1 or 2 pulls starts it. What are the first few things to check?

Yep - it was bound to happen - you are getting too old - can't pull it
fast enough to get it started. ~~ snicker ~~

Check the choke and make sure it's closed. I think that engine has
one of those weirdo inline fuel filters under the cowl, check that,
although it's almost got to be the choke isn't working right.

You are sure you are getting plenty of gas to the carb right? Oil on
the water kind of thing?

If you mean "when it's warmed up & running", then yes. It's getting plenty
of gas. The boat exceeded 300 mph last night. Or, maybe it was 30. In any
case, it's one fast 14 foot yacht.

In order, I'd check to make sure the plug isn't fouled somehow (which
it might be anyway considering that it's gone through 3.2 million
cycles),

Damn....to I have to? Johnson put those damned plugs in a spot where you
have to use an open end or box wrench so you hafta worry about breaking
them.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:16:30 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well, that's the problem then. You are going way too fast - the air
can't get through the cowling into the carb. Cut a big hole in the
front of the cowling and the problem will go away.

If that doesn't work, then pull the cowling and check to see if there
is gas in the carb with the primer bulb nice and tight. Pull it
through and see if gas is getting into the carb throat. If it is,
then it's a spark issue because with that big hole in the cowling and
gas in the carb, you ain't gettin' no spark.

In order, I'd check to make sure the plug isn't fouled somehow (which
it might be anyway considering that it's gone through 3.2 million
cycles),

Damn....to I have to? Johnson put those damned plugs in a spot where you
have to use an open end or box wrench so you hafta worry about breaking
them.

Suck it up Kanter - be a man - git 'r done.
*JimH*

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:16:30 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
wrote:

[...]

OK, so it goes fast....but do you look good in it? If so, it must be a well
built boat, at least according to one person here. ;-)

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

It's odd - this is the simplest boat imaginable - a 3-bench boat, no floor,
like the rowboats you can rent at some resorts, but with gunwales high
enough for serious water, and a ****load more rivets than some aluminum
boats (and probably some airplanes). I bring it to the boat launch where I
see slightly larger boats with a few more amenities that I'd like to have,
but people come over to THIS boat and fawn over it. I know I'm amazing, but
I still don't think that explains all the attention.