Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
r_d

Default Question about milky oil

A good question about ramped stupidity..

I have an 87 omc cobra stern drive. The engine has not run for 5 years
(until now). I basically replaced everything mounted on the outside of the
engine and got it running (well in fact). I ran it for a half hour while
checking the oil periodically. The oil on the dipstick was nice and clean.
After a while I looked into the valve cover and noticed the oil coming off
the rockers was milky (dipstick was clean and tan in color.?.). After
realizing that the dipstick does not actually go into the oil pan but into a
tube connected to the bottom of the pan, I shut down the engine and
immediately changed the oil. The oil was milky (like tea with a little
cream in it) but no free pooling water or foam and it did not smell in any
way (aside from the normal smell of oil). After changing the oil, I
restarted the engine and it still ran well with no unusual noises. Ran if
for an hour at different rpms, while periodically checking the oil (blowing
air into dipstick tube to make sure I am really seeing what the oil looks
like) and it was still clean. No water has shown up again.

The trip is that the boat has not actually been in the water for those 5
years.but on the trailer.so I guess it was condensate (was in Florida). The
engine fires right up, idles nicely, no smoke what so ever, runs at the
proper temp and produces 50psi oil pressure at 1,000 rpms on 10w30. I do
plan to change the oil after 10 hrs of operation and then back to the normal
once a season.

Anyway, the question- what should I look out for if there were any potential
problems starting and any suggestions to reduce the chance of future
problems. I have no reason to believe there will be future problems but I
was a little (a lot) panicked when I saw the milky oil.but since the boat
was not in the water, the water in the oil could not have been salt water.
So at least that is a positive.

Thanks for the help,

mark