Richard Ferguson

Default Canoe rack on a truck pulling a 5th wheel?

I recently switched from a pickup camper to a 5th wheel type of trailer.
I don't want to put the 16 foot canoe on the roof of the brand new
trailer, for one thing there are no good attachment points.

These links show a canoe mounted above the cab of the truck, extending
over the front of the truck. You can't move the canoe back without
hitting the 5th wheel trailer.

http://www.canoeleg.com/5thwheel.htm

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/for...g/15636776.cfm

I measured the distance between the back of the truck cab and the front
bumper as 12 feet. That seems like too far apart to have the racks
holding the canoe. I am not enthused about having my canoe racks two
feet from the end of the canoe. My truck is a 2000 Ford F350 with the
extended cab.

Alternately, I could go with a roof rack on the truck cab and a front
bumper mount, which would get the racks closer together, but perhaps
move the canoe too far forward. I think that I would be legal having
the front of the canoe four feet past the front bumper, but no more.

Apparently there are available commercial racks to do this, but I am not
necessarily adverse to firing up the welder and making a rack.

So how far apart is too far in terms of racking a canoe? At the moment
I have a 16 foot canoe, but I could go shorter or longer in the future,
you can never have too many boats.

Richard

Michael Daly

On 23-Jun-2005, Richard Ferguson wrote:

So how far apart is too far in terms of racking a canoe?

For short-term support, I wouldn't worry about it. You could
support it from the very ends without a serious problem.

Mike
Fred Klingener

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
I recently switched from a pickup camper to a 5th wheel type of trailer.
I don't want to put the 16 foot canoe on the roof of the brand new
trailer, for one thing there are no good attachment points.

1. I'd mount the canoe on the truck, one rack rail on the front bumper and
one on the cab.

2. A couple of Google hits on "vehicle overhang" talk about 4' on the bow as
being legal without a permit or flagging. I'd do a little more research
before paying money, but say 4' is legal most places.

3. There are bolt-on front receiver hitches for most trucks.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/frontmount_main.htm, for example.

Then you can install a Thule goalpost or equal

http://www.rei.com/product/13875764.htm

and a Thule or equal rail on the cab, and you're done. No drilling, no
welding, no fabricating fun, but wtf.

Hth,
Fred Klingener

It would take a little more research than I've done, but I'd plan on a 4'
maximum overhang out the bow.

[...]

Depending on the 5'er you have, stick it inside! We do this with our tandem
kayak, 15' 6" long Perception. It sits beautifully on the top of the
slideout! It goes in the front door with the slideout out, pivots around,
bring the slideout in and set her on top with a sticky cushion under it up
front to keep from rubbing on a closet and trim and from shifting forward at
all. Never a problem. Works great! I wasn't keen about the idea of having it
wayyy over the front of the truck either and I have a crew cab long box.