DFM & JCM

Default canoe and 5th wheel

Help, I'm hoping someone out there has a good idea to help my friend. She
has an extended cab Chevy pickup and will be pulling a fifth wheel. She
wants to know if there's any good ideas for carrying her canoe on the top of
her cab. They are unable to carry the canoe on or in the 5the wheel.tia
david

Fred Klingener

"DFM & JCM" wrote in message
Help, I'm hoping someone out there has a good idea to help my friend. She
has an extended cab Chevy pickup and will be pulling a fifth wheel. She
wants to know if there's any good ideas for carrying her canoe on the top

of
her cab. They are unable to carry the canoe on or in the 5the wheel.tia

I think that the only hope is to get a support for the nose of the canoe out
over the front bumper by quite a bit (depending on the length of the canoe -
tell us it's a 25' fur trade canoe ...)

Recently I saw a motor home (a Ford van-based Chinook) that had a standard
(2"?) hitch receiver mounted under the front bumper that could be used to
support a commercially available elevated Tee boat rack. Maybe there's
something similar that'll fit a pickup. The Tee-rack is easy. The hitch
receiver might be hard.

Otherwise, she'll just have to sell the 5th wheel and sleep in a tent. :-)

hth,
Fred Klingener

MGH

David,

I had a fifth wheel and a Ford F350 crew cab and carried two kayaks on the
truck. A 18 foot kayak was placed in the middle of the Yakima carriers and
about 12 inches forward from the camper. The other kayak, a 15'6" was set to
the side and forward a few feet. Both were strapped to the carrier, a "Y"
bow lines to the front bumper and stern line to the fifth wheel hitch. The
boats position on the truck allowed the trailer to pivot about the kayaks
with out even getting close to either. I had no front support for the boats.
We were on a two week family vacation, put 2000 miles on and had no problems
with the setup. Just a lot of looks.

MGH