Andy

Default 40 hp Johnson

Well this is my first post to the group and hopefully its not to far
off topic but I have a few questions.

I have been around boats all my life and finally just bought my own
Its a 20 foot Sylvan pontoon with a 40hp Johnson Tracker on it. The
boat is a 1991 but I dont know where to start to find the date of this
motor, any help on where to look would be appreciated.

My other question is with a motor problem. Right now when I give it
full throttle it will bog down, then speed up and back down again,
then sometimes almost or will die. At lower speeds it seems ok and
idle its perfect no hiccups.

The guy at the local marina said it sounded like maybe a clogged fuel
line or tank so he gave me another one to test out. I put the new tank
on, with a new tank of gas and it still did the same thing.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Tony Thomas

Chances are you need to have the carbs rebuilt.
However, it could be several other things.
Best to take it to a local shop and have it checked out.
As for the year - give us the model # on the engine (sticker on the
passenger side beside the motor mount bolt).
Who did you buy this boat from and did you not take it for a test drive to
verify it ran properly? Also, did you not get the year from the owner.
Should have been on the tag receipt or the title if your state has titles.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
Well this is my first post to the group and hopefully its not to far
off topic but I have a few questions.

I have been around boats all my life and finally just bought my own
Its a 20 foot Sylvan pontoon with a 40hp Johnson Tracker on it. The
boat is a 1991 but I dont know where to start to find the date of this
motor, any help on where to look would be appreciated.

My other question is with a motor problem. Right now when I give it
full throttle it will bog down, then speed up and back down again,
then sometimes almost or will die. At lower speeds it seems ok and
idle its perfect no hiccups.

The guy at the local marina said it sounded like maybe a clogged fuel
line or tank so he gave me another one to test out. I put the new tank
on, with a new tank of gas and it still did the same thing.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

IBNFSHN

When you tried the new tank, did you also try a new hose and primer bulb? If
you did, it sounds like time for some carb overhauls.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
Well this is my first post to the group and hopefully its not to far
off topic but I have a few questions.

I have been around boats all my life and finally just bought my own
Its a 20 foot Sylvan pontoon with a 40hp Johnson Tracker on it. The
boat is a 1991 but I dont know where to start to find the date of this
motor, any help on where to look would be appreciated.

My other question is with a motor problem. Right now when I give it
full throttle it will bog down, then speed up and back down again,
then sometimes almost or will die. At lower speeds it seems ok and
idle its perfect no hiccups.

The guy at the local marina said it sounded like maybe a clogged fuel
line or tank so he gave me another one to test out. I put the new tank
on, with a new tank of gas and it still did the same thing.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Yep, the marina let me borrow the whole setup, the hose he said was
brand new, same with the bulb. I am going to hit the marina today to
see if I can get some new plugs, fuel filter etc, just to see if any
of that helps at all, if not I guess I have to take it in for the
carbs to be rebuilt.

Any idea where to find the serial number on the motor to track down
the model year? I havn't look myself yet, but hopefully its someplace
obvious.

Thanks.
Andy

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message news:sgAoc.144900$f_5.61547@lakeread01...
When you tried the new tank, did you also try a new hose and primer bulb? If
you did, it sounds like time for some carb overhauls.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
Well this is my first post to the group and hopefully its not to far
off topic but I have a few questions.

I have been around boats all my life and finally just bought my own
Its a 20 foot Sylvan pontoon with a 40hp Johnson Tracker on it. The
boat is a 1991 but I dont know where to start to find the date of this
motor, any help on where to look would be appreciated.

My other question is with a motor problem. Right now when I give it
full throttle it will bog down, then speed up and back down again,
then sometimes almost or will die. At lower speeds it seems ok and
idle its perfect no hiccups.

The guy at the local marina said it sounded like maybe a clogged fuel
line or tank so he gave me another one to test out. I put the new tank
on, with a new tank of gas and it still did the same thing.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Rod McInnis

"Andy" wrote in message
om...

My other question is with a motor problem. Right now when I give it
full throttle it will bog down, then speed up and back down again,
then sometimes almost or will die. At lower speeds it seems ok and
idle its perfect no hiccups.

Sounds like a typical fuel starvation problem. If you are idling, and then
go to wide open throttle, does it run strong for a few seconds before it
starts to bog down?

If it bogs immediately, or has difficulty transitioning from idle to WOT,
then I would suspect the carburetors. If it runs strong for a few seconds
and then bogs down then it is more likely that the problem is that not
enough fuel is getting to the carburetor(s).

The first thing you should do is get yourself some sort of repair manual for
the motor. Ebay is a good place to look. Having the manual will help you
find any fuel filters that there might be and the fuel pump.

A quick test you can run is to squeeze the priming bulb while the engine is
bogging. If this makes it run better then it is an indication that either
the fuel pump isn't providing enough flow or a filter is clogged.

Also, make sure that you have the vent open on the gas tank!

Rod

Andy

Thanks everyone for your help, today I replaced the fuel filter which
when I pulled it out dirt and debri came right out if it. Looks as if
it had not been changed for a while. I found out it is a 1989 Johnson
40hp motor, oil injected. I also replaced the plugs today and am just
waiting for it to clear up outside to give it a test run.

As far as the fuel starvation, before it would run for a second then
die, then speed up then die almost as if the fuel filter or line were
clogged. The motor idles fine. The other evening we took it around the
lake just putzing around and it had no problems it is only at full
throttle this problem happens.

I ordered the book on Ebay for motors from 2hp to 40hp specific to
Johnson motors. As far as the test run, no I did not test run it
however I bought it from someone I trust here in town and he has stood
by the boat to this point, providing me with anything I need free of
charge including the tank, line and bulb, spark plugs, fuel filter
etc. He is going to help solve the problem no matter this issue,
however after seeing the fuel filter today I have a feeling that was a
big problem, but will let you know when I take it out this afternoon.
Now I am just looking to see if there is any special carb cleaner for
2 stroke oil injected motors. It's been a learning experience but
definitely fun

Thanks for your help!!

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message ...
"Andy" wrote in message
om...

[...]

OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
johnson, actually mercury Clams Canino General 7 October 15th 03 01:33 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM