Larry Crowe

Default tilt/trim squeal

Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not squeal
when trailered out of the water just trimming off the battery.. If I
muff it with engine running I get the squeal when trimming, don't really
understand why ?? Larry
Floyd I Johnson

Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not squeal
when trailered out of the water just trimming off the battery.. If I
muff it with engine running I get the squeal when trimming, ...

If the noise is coming from a slipping belt, then of course the motor has to
be running to do that. When you activate the trim pump motor it adds extra
load to the batteries and the alternator has to run harder to maintain the
voltage level of the system. When the alternator has more load on it the
belt may slip some. Check to see if the belts are tightened enough, but not
too tight.
If your squealing noise is coming from the trim cylinders, try coating the
extender rods with something like trim fluid to see if that helps.

Butch Davis

Larry,

If the trim pump has a direct short in the motor it puts a large electrical
load on the system when used against any resistance whatsoever. When the
engine is running it would put a large load on the alternator. If the
alternator is belt driven it could well cause the alternator belt to slip.
OTOH, it could simply be that you need a new belt or to adjust the old belt.

Good luck.

Butch
"Larry Crowe" wrote in message
Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not squeal
when trailered out of the water just trimming off the battery.. If I
muff it with engine running I get the squeal when trimming, don't really
understand why ?? Larry

Larry Crowe

Thanks for the info. My local marina mentioned that I may need a
rebuild or replacement alternator . I pulled the alternator and
had it bench tested under load at an automotive alternator re builder
and they said that and it seemed fine. So I guess maybe the alternator is
still really defective since I secured the belt when reinstalling..
Thoughts ?? Larry

Butch Davis wrote:
Larry,

If the trim pump has a direct short in the motor it puts a large electrical
load on the system when used against any resistance whatsoever. When the
engine is running it would put a large load on the alternator. If the
alternator is belt driven it could well cause the alternator belt to slip.
OTOH, it could simply be that you need a new belt or to adjust the old belt.

Good luck.

Butch
"Larry Crowe" wrote in message

Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not squeal
when trailered out of the water just trimming off the battery.. If I
muff it with engine running I get the squeal when trimming, don't really
understand why ?? Larry

Butch Davis

Larry,

More likely IMO, since you had the alternator checked by folks who make
money selling alternators, is the trim pump motor is defective. However, if
your alternator belt is old and has been slipping (squealing) it may have
become glazed and need replacement. Sometimes adjustment is not enough for
an old belt.

Belts are cheap. I'd replace mine if it is not virtually perfect if I had
the slippage you describe. I'd go from there to more complex expensive
issues. Is your tilt trim fluid reservoir full? How many amps are being
drawn by the trim motoer? How many should be drawn? Is the switch
connection perfect? Are all connections secure and free of corrosion?
Disconnect the battery and check the resistance in the circuits going from
the switch to the motor. Then check the resistance from the batter
connection to the switch. Any resistance?

Lots of possibilities but I like to go from the easy cheap to correct to the
difficult expensive to repair.

Again, good luck.

Butch Davis wrote:
Larry,

If the trim pump has a direct short in the motor it puts a large
electrical load on the system when used against any resistance
whatsoever. When the engine is running it would put a large load on the
alternator. If the alternator is belt driven it could well cause the
alternator belt to slip. OTOH, it could simply be that you need a new
belt or to adjust the old belt.

Good luck.

Butch
"Larry Crowe" wrote in message

Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not squeal
when trailered out of the water just trimming off the battery.. If I
muff it with engine running I get the squeal when trimming, don't really
understand why ?? Larry

akheel

"Butch Davis" wrote in
ink.net:

Butch Davis wrote:
Larry,

If the trim pump has a direct short in the motor it puts a large
electrical load on the system when used against any resistance
whatsoever. When the engine is running it would put a large load on
the alternator. If the alternator is belt driven it could well
cause the alternator belt to slip. OTOH, it could simply be that you
need a new belt or to adjust the old belt.

Good luck.

Butch
"Larry Crowe" wrote in message

Get a squealing noise from the water pump /power steering belt areas
whenever I trim up or down. What I noticed is that it does not
squeal when trailered out of the water just trimming off the
battery.. If I muff it with engine running I get the squeal when
trimming, don't really understand why ?? Larry

I actually had a squeal coming from the voltage regulator on an old OMC
800. It was an exernal regulator. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.
Checked all of the usual suspects (belt, pullies etc.). Long shot, but if
you have an external regulator, check it out.