Gary Warner

Default Brake Actuator Comment / Question

BACKGROUND:

As the frequent reader may know, we are building a new trailer for our
boat. It has dual torsion axels, disc brakes on all four wheels, and we
decided on an Atwood brand hydraulic surge-activated brake actuator.

Of course, when backing up a surge actuator will try to put on the
brakes, which is not what you really want. So the model we purchased
has a "lock out" lever. It's a thing on the side that can be pushed down
and into a lock position. It prevents the hitch (ball portion) from pushing
back on the piston that drives the hydraulics.

PROBLEM / QUESTION:

Although the lever-thing sort of locks in place, it does not stay there. It
does
stay to some extent. But if you stop backing up it pops out. So, say you are
backing, then need to pull forward a little to reposition yourself - the
thing
pops out.

Not a huge problem if you have two people and the other person can kind of
watch it -- but is this normal?

I suppose in a way it's good because you can't forget and just
LEAVE it in the locked out position.

Not a big deal, just curious.

John Gaquin

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Of course, when backing up a surge actuator will try to put on the
brakes, which is not what you really want.

My understanding (and limited experience) with surge brakes is that a
certain [adjustable?] amount of decelerative force is required to activate.
Simply backing the trailer at slow speed has never activated any surge
brakes in my experience.

How hard do you plan to accelerate the rig in reverse? :-)

basskisser

Of course, when backing up a surge actuator will try to put on the
brakes, which is not what you really want.

My understanding (and limited experience) with surge brakes is that a
certain [adjustable?] amount of decelerative force is required to activate.

What "decelerative force" is there when you are accelerating? Do you
not think you can accelerate in reverse?
Rod McInnis

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

My understanding (and limited experience) with surge brakes is that a
certain [adjustable?] amount of decelerative force is required to

activate.

Years ago the surge brake trailer that I was familiar with had a spring that
kept the coupler in the non-braking position. This spring was strong enough
to keep the trailer from "riding the brakes" while going down a hill and
allowed a certain amount of backing.

I don't see that arrangement anymore. The last two trailers that I have had
certainly didn't have any sort of thing. The latest trailer has disc brakes
and they won't allow backing up unless you are backing down a hill!

I miss that spring. Don't know why they went away.

Rod

-rick-

"Gary Warner" wrote...

[...]

I have this Atwood actuator...

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=ba

and had the same problem. It was aggravated by the fact that I have to back the
trailer uphill to put it next to my house. I "solved" the problem by using a
very small bungee cord to hold the latch pin down while backing. The problem
with that is when you forget to remove it before towing again you are without
brakes.

-rick-

Gary Warner

"-rick-" wrote in message

I have this Atwood actuator...

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=ba

and had the same problem. It was aggravated by the fact that I have to

back the
trailer uphill to put it next to my house. I "solved" the problem by

using a
very small bungee cord to hold the latch pin down while backing. The

problem
with that is when you forget to remove it before towing again you are

without
brakes.

-rick-

This looks to be exactly like my actuator. It's nice to know someone else
thinks
this setup is not quite right. I think I'll try to rig up something like you
suggest with
a small bungee cord or something. ~

I'm not too afraid of fogetting. I don't want
to tempt the gods and say I'll never forget...but we tend to be pretty good
at
remembering that type of thing. My general strategy is...once I know
everything
is all good to go (on trailer or boat or whatever) I go through everything
ONE
MORE time.

Thanks,
Gary

Don White

Some dealers have told me a coupler is available that doesn't need the
little lockout device.
Can't remember if an extra wire was used from your backlights or whatever.

____m___~¿Ô___m____

Don White wrote:

Some dealers have told me a coupler is available that doesn't need the
little lockout device.
Can't remember if an extra wire was used from your backlights or whatever.

That would be for electric brakes.
Here the poster is asking about a hydraulic serge brake.
--
_______m___õ¿~___m_________________________
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

Camilo

"____m___~¿Ô___m____" wrote in message
Don White wrote:

Some dealers have told me a coupler is available that doesn't need the
little lockout device.
Can't remember if an extra wire was used from your backlights or

whatever.
That would be for electric brakes.
Here the poster is asking about a hydraulic serge brake.

I currently have hydraulic surge brakes which have no lockout on the
actuator. The brakes (drum brakes) themselves have some sort of feature
that allow backing up. I'll try to find the make/model and give a pointer
later.

As for the original poster and question: for what it's worth, I used to
have the type of surge brake system with a lockout lever on the
coupler/actuator. Just like you describe yours, it really was flakey and
almost unusable - you could put it in the lock position, but almost any
change in speed while backing (for instance speeding up, slowing down,
temporarily stopping, etc, etc. etc!!) would cause it to de-lock. Since I
do 99.9% of backing solo, this made this feature virtually worthless to me
and I simply quit using it. I found that it was not needed in flat areas -
99 % (not quite 99.9) of the backing I did at home, or at the ramp area -
both areas are flat and/or down hill. The occasional parking lots that
required backing are also generally flat. The only time it was a factor was
on the occasional uphill backing, and the lock-out worked OK in those
situations if I kept pressure on the coupler (which is easy when backing up
hill - even when you stop, the pressure remains.).

Hope this helps.
Cam

Camilo

I wrote:

I currently have hydraulic surge brakes which have no lockout on the
actuator. The brakes (drum brakes) themselves have some sort of feature
that allow backing up. I'll try to find the make/model and give a pointer
later.

The coupler/actuator I have is a DICO (or Titan?) model 60 with a universal
coupler. I mention that only because it has no backup/lockout device on
the actuator and this is a hydraulic/mechanical actuator, not electric.

http://www.ne-ts.com/mac/bb/bb-306dico01.jpg

I believe the brakes themselves have what are called "freebacking shoes"
which is the feature I was trying to describe. I have no idea if these kind
of shoes can be installed into any system.