Greg

Default Is it time they modified the inland rules?

There was another note here about safety courses that made be think of this.
The current inland rules are probably close to a century old with modifications
over the years but they really don't seem to reflect the current state of
boating. It is certainly clear that they weren't thinking about PWCs when these
rules were written. To start with PWCs don't have a sound producing device and
they get around this with a whistle somewhere on the person of the rider. I
have NEVER actually heard someone use it in a passing situation and I doubt the
PWC operator could hear my horn.
Perhaps we need some universal types of hand signals for small boats similar to
bikes?
Another idea I think is overdue is establishing a speed somewhere between
"slow" and "safe normal operation". Setting a specific MPH is not reasonable
since there is no rule establishing that boats have speedometers and the
question will always be "is this speed through the water (that you get with a
pitot tube) or speed over the bottom (like you get from a GPS)?".
If we can live with something as ambiguious as the definition of "slow" why
can't we come up with the speed that is the minimum to stay up on plane? That
would be a useful addition to the "speeds" available for safety.

Gary Warner

"Greg" wrote:

I have NEVER actually heard someone use it in a passing situation and I

doubt the
PWC operator could hear my horn.

I was just reviewing the rules myself about when to use the horn to indicate
that
one will be passing. I'd bet that most recreational boaters out there would
think
you were either saying "Hi" or else being rude.

Perhaps we need some universal types of hand signals for small boats...

And where you blow your horn there is a good change you'll get a "hand
signal" in return.

Another idea I think is overdue is establishing a speed somewhere between
"slow" and "safe normal operation".

You're suggesting something like ??:
Slow = Very slow. No wake. Not on Plane. Probably about 5 or 6 MPH.
Medium = On plane but not WOT
Safe Normal = Anything you want including WOT, as long as it's "safe" and
under control?