Gould 0738

Default Kicking and screaming into the present

Well, I finally did it.

After all these years of steadfastly holding out against bringing a DGPS
chartplotter aboard, I broke down and installed a Simrad CP33 today. I chose
this unit because it has a medium size screen that is daylight readable,
interface buttons that are large enough to use when the boat is slamming
around, a color display, and it has a good reputation among people who know
marine electronics.

While the CP33 has been on the short list of "if I ever get a plotter"
plotters, I was motivated to go ahead at this time due to a unique
circumstance. One of the yards I'm in steady communication with installed a
CP33 on a new boat, by mistake. The buyer had wanted a CE33 (with integrated
echo sounder), so they had to pull the CP33 out. The yard was sending the
"used" CP33 back to Simrad for credit, and offered it to me for flat cost.
(Just over half price, but still a few bucks, though). I asked for a few days
to consider it, and during that time they sent it back to Simrad. Thought I'd
dinked around too long and missed out on a deal, but somebody at the yard took
it upon themselves to call Simrad and explain what happened......and I
ultimately wound up with Simrad sending me a brand new unit, all sealed up in a
box. Sometimes you fall into the outhouse and come out smelling like a rose.

Seems to work perfectly. Used an overhead mount, putting the unit just above
eye level from the helm. It hovers over my chart table, which will remain in
use.

It had occured to me in the past that I was working too hard when venturing
into
waters not routinely frequented. I would take lat/long off the hardwired Garmin
145
every so often and manually confirm position on the chart. Now I'll be able to
see
my position without manual plotting.

Guess it's my age showing, even though I'm not all that tremendously old. Gonna
keep up the chart and compass routine, and augment it with the CP33. Seems to
me like part of boating would be missing without those charts........but so
many new boats today don't even make a provision for stowing or unrolling
charts. No room at all. The kids just won't realize what they're missing. :-)

Two things I learned today about GPS antennae:

1. They should not be washed by the radar beam. My old Garmin antenna was
maybe on the upper edge of the beam, and it didn't seem to hurt it any.
However, I noticed a caution against this practice in the installation
instructions andcalled Simrad while hooking up the new one. "No, don't let the
radar beam wash over the antenna. You will pick up a noisy signal when the
radar is running, and over time that could damage the unit. The manual says to
keep the antenna out of the radar beam, and depending on the situation that
could be a consideration on a warranty claim."

(Off to Worst Marine to pay $30 for a 12-inch extension to the existing FG
antenna mount)

2. DGPS antennae can be either "active" or "passive". Simrad sent me a unit
with
an active antenna, so I assume that means it will receive signals a little
better.
The factory rep asked me to open the box and make sure I didn't get a "Version
8" antenna, Simrad has had trouble with those. Mine turned out to be a Version
9.

Now I have to deal with the temptation to use all the features of this
marvelous device. It can interface with a depth sounder, autopilot, laptop
computer, and several other items through dedicated connections as well as a
NMEA cable.. Already have a depth sounder, of course. As far as a laptop
computer, etc etc etc........I think I'll wait until I evolve into the modern
age just a bit more. If I set up a laptop computer, it would use up too much of
the space I keep reserved for charts. :-)

DSK

Gould 0738 wrote:
Well, I finally did it.

After all these years of steadfastly holding out against bringing a DGPS
chartplotter aboard, I broke down and installed a Simrad CP33 today.

Chuck, thanks very much for the review... We are looking into upgrading
& modernizing, this will help the choosing process.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Sandy K.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

[...]

Congratulations!! When I purchased my boat, I had a
chartplotter.dgps/fishfinder from Raymarine installed. Even though I always
use it, I still keep my paper charts available. Never know when the unit
will go on the fritz.

Sandy K
1997 Sea Ray Sundancer - Grateful Days

Gould 0738

Next, you'll wonder why you
bought the single purpose chart plotter.

Actually, not.

I believe in individual components, rather than a single unit that is radar,
plotter, depth sounder, CD player, back scratcher, and beverage mixer all built
into one box. When something fails, I don't want to lose other systems at the
same time.

Messing In Boats

I have two Garmins, a 182 and a 182C and would have never gone to Alaska
without them. I also don't use paper at all anymore except for figuring
out what's ahead for tomorrow, as I don't have a lot of room at either
helm to place all that paper.

All that aside, I had all the charts for the Inside Passage trip to
Alaska, (British Columbia says they won't let you through if you don't
have them!) and because I think it's smart just in case...

We were going from Prince Rupert north through Venn Passage, a narrow
little waterway that a lot of the cruising guides say to use only with
local knowledge and at slack tide. My anal wife had the charts in her
lap and were were in a critical spot trying to figure out which of the
damn buoys had been dragged out of position by a barge when the thing
went out on us so all we were looking at was a set of hashmarks! We were
very happy to have had the charts in hand. I would never go anywhere
without charts.

Garmin later did a software upgrade (out of warranty and for free, I
might add with a kind word about the best customer service on the
planet!) and I have had no more problems.

Capt. Jeff