Default How to shine up pontoons.What to use ?

I would love my pontoons to look like this:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...rs_zoom12.html

How the hell did they do that?

It looks like they had them chromed

wrote in message
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...rs_zoom12.html

How the hell did they do that?

Fish4Fun

They are aluminum right?

Go to a truck stop, or online (www.atwchrome.com is a good site, direct link
to what I am talking about is
http://www.atwchrome.com/airfreshwaxpolish.html) and purchase the bars of
rough. I have purchased from them on 3 separate occasions and they do a
great job.

You will need the brown bar, which is a cutter, and a green bar which will
make it shine like a mirror. You will also need to get one or two of the
circular buffer pads which attach to a good quality, HIGH speed grinder.
RPM's are the key here. This is the only way you will get it to look like
this!! OR, if you live in a big city..... near some truck stops there are
places that do highspeed polishing, and I KNOW that you would be able to get
them to do your pontoon boat. (I'm a truck driver... that's how come I know
how to polish this stuff... I like my Pete to look good!)

You put a buffer pad on the grinder, turn it on, rub it on the brown bar...
and begin polishing (Cutting). Do it all.... then do it again with the green
bar which will really polish it out and it will shine like a MIRROR. Be
careful not to hold the grinder on one spot too long as it will turn purple
from the heat and stay that way in the spot. You only need to do this once
every 6 months and since you will have previously cut it... the following
times you will only need the green bar. There is no rubbing needed as the
buffer pad will polish it and rub it out at the same time.

wrote in message
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...ers_zoom12.htm

How the hell did they do that?

Fish4Fun

CORRECTION, In my reference tot he green bar in my previous post... it is
actually meant to be a White bar. But I DO use the green bar on my aluminum
with no problems and it is very popular to do so.

wrote in message
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...ers_zoom12.htm

How the hell did they do that?

basskisser

wrote in message . ..
I would love my pontoons to look like this:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...rs_zoom12.html

How the hell did they do that?

Aluminum is easily buffed to shine like that. There are various cuts
of compounds, working from coarser to finer, finally buffing with a
lambs wool bonnett and glaze.

D0N ßâiley

wrote in message
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...ers_zoom12.htm

How the hell did they do that?

That would scare the fish.

db

On Thu, 6 May 2004 11:06:41 -0400, "D0N ßâiley"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...ers_zoom12.htm

How the hell did they do that?

That would scare the fish.

db

Only the small ones ;-)

Rod McInnis

wrote in message
I would love my pontoons to look like this:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...ers_zoom12.htm

How the hell did they do that?

To get them looking like that is simply a matter of elbow grease. Take a
buffer and some good rubbing compound and go to work! You will have to
start with some pretty course stuff at first and then keep going finer until
you get to your basic polish.

Keeping them looking like that for more than a day will require coating the
aluminum with something to keep it from oxidizing. If you don't coat it, it
will very quickly return to its original condition.

There is a coating called Sharkhide (www.sharkhide.com) that I have heard of
a lot, although I personally haven't used it.

Rod