Ton Lok

Default boat insurance

does your automobile liability insurance cover your boat and boat
trailer? if not, do you have to carry liability boat insurance in texas
and/or colorado?
thanks,
t.

Tom

"Ton Lok" wrote in message
does your automobile liability insurance cover your boat and boat
trailer? if not, do you have to carry liability boat insurance in texas
and/or colorado?
thanks,
t.
I have State Farm. In Arizona and now, here in Illinois, my auto

liability covers the trailer while being pulled by my covered car and my
homeowner's covers any boat under 25hp. Can't remember the length limit but
I do know that 14ft is covered.
Tom.

Gary Warner

I *think* that your auto insurance covers liability if you're towing
your boat and it causes damage. It doesn't cover damage to the boat
itself, nor does your auto insurance cover liability or damage when
you're boating.

This is what I was told by my car-insurance people. No extra coverage needed
for the trailer (with or without the boat on it). But that coverage does not
cover damage to the boat - only damage caused BY the car--trailer--boat.
It doesn't cover that boat at all in use.

Calif Bill

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I *think* that your auto insurance covers liability if you're towing
your boat and it causes damage. It doesn't cover damage to the boat
itself, nor does your auto insurance cover liability or damage when
you're boating.

This is what I was told by my car-insurance people. No extra coverage

needed
for the trailer (with or without the boat on it). But that coverage does

not
cover damage to the boat - only damage caused BY the car--trailer--boat.
It doesn't cover that boat at all in use.

I know State Farm homeowers policy covers my 14', 15Hp boat. I think 15'
and 25 hp is the limit.

Gil

Calif Bill wrote:
"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I *think* that your auto insurance covers liability if you're towing
your boat and it causes damage. It doesn't cover damage to the boat
itself, nor does your auto insurance cover liability or damage when
you're boating.

This is what I was told by my car-insurance people. No extra
coverage needed for the trailer (with or without the boat on it).
But that coverage does not cover damage to the boat - only damage
caused BY the car--trailer--boat. It doesn't cover that boat at all
in use.

I know State Farm homeowers policy covers my 14', 15Hp boat. I
think 15' and 25 hp is the limit.

My 13' Whaler w/40hp is covered liability-only (no collision/comp/etc) via a
rider on my homeowner's policy. But full coverage for my 21' runabout
required it's own policy, which my carrier euphemistically calls a "yacht
policy"! Yacht?? Eh, not by a long shot...

Calif Bill

"Gil" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
[...]

The under 14/15' and low horsepower boat is covered with no rider. My 21'
is covered by BoatUS.

Dan J. S.

"Ton Lok" wrote in message
does your automobile liability insurance cover your boat and boat
trailer? if not, do you have to carry liability boat insurance in texas
and/or colorado?
thanks,
t.

Don't know the answer, but since you bring up Colorado and trailers, I
almost flipped when I saw a guy pull both an RV and a boat behind the RV. In
how many other states is this legal? And how the hell do you backup when you
are towing 2 trailers??

Calif Bill

"Dan J. S." wrote in message

"Ton Lok" wrote in message
does your automobile liability insurance cover your boat and boat
trailer? if not, do you have to carry liability boat insurance in texas
and/or colorado?
thanks,
t.

Don't know the answer, but since you bring up Colorado and trailers, I
almost flipped when I saw a guy pull both an RV and a boat behind the RV.

In
how many other states is this legal? And how the hell do you backup when

you
are towing 2 trailers??

You don't back up. If it is a 5th wheel, it is not considered a trailer by
at least California. YMMV.

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Boat insurance questions NOYB General 14 October 15th 03 04:41 AM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM