Calif Bill

Default boat insurance

"Gil" wrote in message
news:4Zcic.16598$S42.1647@lakeread03...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I *think* that your auto insurance covers liability if you're towing
your boat and it causes damage. It doesn't cover damage to the boat
itself, nor does your auto insurance cover liability or damage when
you're boating.

This is what I was told by my car-insurance people. No extra
coverage needed for the trailer (with or without the boat on it).
But that coverage does not cover damage to the boat - only damage
caused BY the car--trailer--boat. It doesn't cover that boat at all
in use.

I know State Farm homeowers policy covers my 14', 15Hp boat. I
think 15' and 25 hp is the limit.

My 13' Whaler w/40hp is covered liability-only (no collision/comp/etc) via

rider on my homeowner's policy. But full coverage for my 21' runabout
required it's own policy, which my carrier euphemistically calls a "yacht
policy"! Yacht?? Eh, not by a long shot...

The under 14/15' and low horsepower boat is covered with no rider. My 21'
is covered by BoatUS.