Gould 0738

Default OT (historical) Day of Pride for *all* Americans

How did politically active rec.boats get all the way through the day without
somebody commenting on the 229th anniversary of our initial, armed resistance
oppressive, dictatorial government?

It's a day for all of us, regardless of political preference, to take pride in
the courage it must have taken for these simple farmers, shopkeepers, and
craftsmen
to stand up to King George, Parliament, and the Board of Colonies and
Plantations to demand the same rights that were afforded Englishmen elsewhere.

Proud to say that one of these patriots was a g,g,g,g,......grandfather. :-)

*****************
From the web:

To learn about this barn is to step back into American history. It was built
about 1710 and originally stood at 129 Washington Street, about a mile from its
present site. It was built by the Goulds, one of the founding familes of
Topsfield. Zaccheus Gould came from England about 1639 and took an active role
in creating the town, then known as New Meadows, and was one of its leading
citizens. The barn's owner during the Revolutionary War was Joseph Gould,
Zaccheus's great-grandson. Joseph was a farmer who, on December 5, 1774 was
elected Captain by the citizens of Topsfield of one of the two Militia
Companies. It is recorded that Captain Gould was one of those who, on April 19,
1775, left his plow in midfurrow and galloped off to Lexington and Concord to
help drive the Redcoats back to Boston.

***********

Good job, Gramps! :-)

Jim

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
How did politically active rec.boats get all the way through the day

without
somebody commenting on the 229th anniversary of our initial, armed

resistance
oppressive, dictatorial government?

It's a day for all of us, regardless of political preference, to take

pride in
the courage it must have taken for these simple farmers, shopkeepers, and
craftsmen
to stand up to King George, Parliament, and the Board of Colonies and
Plantations to demand the same rights that were afforded Englishmen

elsewhere.

Proud to say that one of these patriots was a g,g,g,g,......grandfather.

:-)

*****************
From the web:

[...]

Yes, you have every right to be proud. Americans ; with very little help
chose their own destiny!

Would it be the same for Iraq? I believe freedom is something to be earned,
not a gift to be grudgingly accepted. You must fight and sacrifice for self
determination. Yes it might take some time of suffering to accomplish this,
but in the end the freedom is appreciated.

Would Americans appreciate their freedom as much if it were handed to us by
the French, or Spanish? Yes the french helped, but most of the fighting was
done by men like your grandfather several times removed. I'd like to think
we would do it again if necessary.

This is why I believe "Operation Iraqi Freedom is doomed to fail. The
common Iraqi has no part in the fight. Were things bad enough he would have
risen up long ago. Yes Saddam was a brute -- King George was a nutcase.
They Both persecuted their subjects. Americans finally said "NO MORE".
Iraq won't truly be free until they do the same,

Yes, you have every right to be proud. Americans ; with very little help
chose their own destiny!

John Gaquin

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

It's a day for all of us....to take pride in
the courage it must have taken for these simple farmers, shopkeepers, and

Proud to say that one of these patriots was a g,g,g,g,......grandfather.

:-)

Personally, Chuck, I refrained from comment because I felt it would just
open the subject to snide deprecation from those so inclined. I preferred
to keep my musings private. I celebrated the day as I have for some time
now-- by attending the re-enactments and ceremonies in Lexington and
Concord. The actors are particularly impressive. They have taken on the
roles of individuals with a detail and a passion that borders on obsession.
It has gotten to where you have to arrive at the Lexington Green by about
4AM for good positioning.

Honors, and thanks, to your g,g,g,g,......grandfather!

John Gaquin

And, for those who wish to bother....

written by R.W. Emerson, and sung, on the occasion of the dedication of the
Concord Memorial in, I believe, 1837.

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We set to-day a votive stone;
That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

Spirit, that made those heroes dare
To die, or leave their childern free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee.

Of course, a bit of poetic license here -- the first shots having already
been fired at Lexington earlier that morning -- but the point is well made.

Gould 0738

Personally, Chuck, I refrained from comment because I felt it would just
open the subject to snide deprecation from those so inclined.

That would be tragic.

We may disagree about the best course for America to take into the future, and
we may disagree about whether current policies or leaders are as effective as
they might be. America is a big place, there is room for more than a single
opinion. Most people, whether liberal, moderate, or conservative truly want to
see
a just, equitable, prosperous, and free America. We disagree, often vehemently,
on the best means for achieving it.

Few people would be critical of the founding patriots. Collectively, we surely
enjoy more advantages in the US than any people in the history of the world.
There's nothing wrong with putting aside political
manure-flinging long enough to recognize the contributions, joys, and
sacrifices of the generations that created the society we enjoy today. May we,
collectively, leave a better society in turn for our kids and grandkids to
enjoy...now, if we could just agree on how to go about it..... :-)