Duncan D. Sterling

Default Anyone Running Marinized Mazda Rotary?

Howdy,

I've been reading about the marinized Mazda 13b
(rotary/wankel) engines sold by Rotary Power Marine.

(http://www.rotarypowermarine.com)

It seems they offer both a 175 HP (normally
aspirated) and 240 HP (supercharged) models.

Has anyone here had any experience with these?

I know that technically speaking, any engineering
problems with the rotary (seals) were solved by the
mid 70s so reliability (provided that you maintain
them properly) should be good.

In theory, with the weight reduction over a standard
Mercruiser or Volvo V8, you should do better on fuel
consumption and performance since you're dropping about
500 pounds of engine weight with the rotary.

Thoughts? Comments? "I hate rotary engine" rants?

Flames? :-)

--Duncan

Duncan D. Sterling

Gordon wrote:
: Price?

If memory serves, when I saw these motors at a display booth at
the Annapolis boat show last fall, they were in the $5-6k range
complete.

Note that this is for new (not rebuilt and then marinized)
motors.

Supposedly, everything on the motor is pretty generic, i.e.
you can take it to pretty much any shop for routine service. In
the event that you run into mechanical issues, they claim to
have a liberal exchange program where they transship a new
long block to you at a price well below that of a V8
equivalent.

It looks like they give you a two year warranty with the motors
as well. Not sure what Mercruisea or Volvo does along these
lines...

--Duncan