otnmbrd

Default Gunwhales ???

Gary Warner wrote:
Ok, in another thread a question I always have
came up. Someone was helpful and corrected me
from "gunnel" to "gunwhale".

So, what IS a gunwhale?

Here is a definition I found googeling:
The name (pronounced GUN'L) given to the uppermost line of planking of a
boat's sides. In the old ships the upper tier of guns used to fire over the
top planking which was therefore specially strengthened by "whales".

So, lets say on my boat. Which of the following is the gunwhale
and what is the other one called??

A) It's a lapstrake hull. So each next higher "plank" overlaps the
one below it. At the top of the side of the hull the last plank is basically
perpendicular to the floor / water.

This would be the Sheer strake

B) Then, at a 90 degree angle to that last "plank" there is another part of
the
boat. That part is about 8" wide. It' where one could step with one foot
while boarding the boat.

G I'd just call that a deck

Are these both part of the gunwhale?

In a way, yes. The gunwale would be the "line" where the two meet.
Possibly a better way to visualize it would be to look at a rowboat or
canoe ... that upper line of the hull from bow to stern would be the gun'l.

otn

What's a proper or descriptive term for B? I've been calling it
the "upper side deck" (as opposed to the decking on the bow or
the decking on the stern).

I know it seems like a silly question but....

Thanks,
Gary

Eisboch

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message

Care to try this one? What's the origin of the term "bridge" for a
vessel's command center...who invented it, and why?

--
Peggie
----------

I think I remember reading that the concept of a "bridge" on a ship was to
provide easy passage from port to starboard. No clue who invented it.

Eisboch

Doug Kanter

YOU invented it, your sole purpose being to win worms and beer.

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
Well, sometimes it's a partial deck above a ship's main afterdeck. But
sometimes it's not. :-)

Nope..ALWAYS a raised afterdeck, high enough to prevent taking on water
over the stern that could, in a heavy following sea, swamp the boat and
even sink it...a condition--as you correctly noted--from the Latin,
referred to as being "pooped." Hence the name "poop deck" for a RAISED
afterdeck.

Care to try this one? What's the origin of the term "bridge" for a
vessel's command center...who invented it, and why?

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

otnmbrd

Peggie Hall wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

Well, sometimes it's a partial deck above a ship's main afterdeck. But
sometimes it's not. :-)

Nope..ALWAYS a raised afterdeck, high enough to prevent taking on water
over the stern that could, in a heavy following sea, swamp the boat and
even sink it...a condition--as you correctly noted--from the Latin,
referred to as being "pooped." Hence the name "poop deck" for a RAISED
afterdeck.

Care to try this one? What's the origin of the term "bridge" for a
vessel's command center...who invented it, and why?

Technically correct, however, due to changing designs, some will refer
to any after weather deck as the "poop" deck.... correctly, since it's
their boat/ship and as long as everyone onboard understands......

otn

Peggie Hall

Doug Kanter wrote:
Care to try this one? What's the origin of the term "bridge" for a
vessel's command center...who invented it, and why?

YOU invented it, your sole purpose being to win worms and beer.

The term "bridge" has been around for a bit over 100 years. I'm no
spring chicken any more, but I'm not quite THAT old!

Let's give this one a little time...someone will come up with it, I think.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

otnmbrd

I'm not sure, but I think the bridge deck came about when "side paddles"
came into use, as it "bridged" the two paddlewheel housings and gave a
clear walkway from port to stbd for visibility when maneuvering.

otn

Peggie Hall

otnmbrd wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think the bridge deck came about when "side paddles"
came into use, as it "bridged" the two paddlewheel housings and gave a
clear walkway from port to stbd for visibility when maneuvering.

You're correct. Side-wheelers were the earliest motorized
propulsion...with wheels on both sides of the boat, in the middle. They
both had to be inspected during each watch, which was real chore because
decks were cluttered with rigging, cargo, superstructure etc. A civil
engineer and bridge builder named Isambard Kingdom (what WAS his mother
thinking???) Brunel decided to try his hand at shipbuilding...his first
and most famous vessel was the Great Western, which at the time was the
largest ship ever built. You can see it at
http://www.stfaiths100.freeserve.co....s/brunelgw.htm With his
bridge building engineering background, it was only natural that Brunel
would solve the problem of getting across the ship amidship by including
a real bridge in his design. It not only made wheel inspections much
easier, but the elevated view made negotiating harbors and docking so
much easier that other ship designers began incorporating bridges too.
And when side wheelers gave way to sternwheelers--and eventually
propellers--the elevated command centers remained, along with their
original name: the bridge.

If you're curious to know more about Brunel, go he
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RAbrunel.htm

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jim Carter

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm not sure, but I think the bridge deck came about when "side paddles"
came into use, as it "bridged" the two paddlewheel housings and gave a
clear walkway from port to stbd for visibility when maneuvering.

otn

I agree, and so does the "Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea"

James D. Carter, Port Captain, GLCC
"The Boat"
Bayfield

OTNMBRD

Subject: Gunwhales ???

Calif Bill

Doug Kanter wrote:
Well, sometimes it's a partial deck above a ship's main afterdeck. But
sometimes it's not. :-)

Nope..ALWAYS a raised afterdeck, high enough to prevent taking on water
over the stern that could, in a heavy following sea, swamp the boat and
even sink it...a condition--as you correctly noted--from the Latin,
referred to as being "pooped." Hence the name "poop deck" for a RAISED
afterdeck.

Care to try this one? What's the origin of the term "bridge" for a
vessel's command center...who invented it, and why?

--
Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

And I thought it was the raised deck where all the birds hung out.