Default fuel/oil mixture - 1973 evinrude

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 14:28:00 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there oil port and if so where and it says use premium gas with 50:1

Not on a '73 anything two-stroke that Ive ever seen You're better mixing 30 or 40:1 with an old outboard and use premium fuel. I've seen too many scored chainsaws and weed eaters because someone tried to stretch the limits on 50:1/ even with the finest synthetic lubricants, there's no room for error at that rate. Best to mix thicker to the engines specs, than to read some wild claim of an oil manufacturer.

My old OMC V4 75HP ran 50:1. (pint can per 6 gallons) It was early
70s.
Tim Tim is offline

Jun
wrote:

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there oil port and if so where and it says use premium gas with 50:1

Not on a '73 anything two-stroke that Ive ever seen You're better mixing 30 or 40:1 with an old outboard and use premium fuel. I've seen too many scored chainsaws and weed eaters because someone tried to stretch the limits on 50:1/ even with the finest synthetic lubricants, there's no room for error at that rate. Best to mix thicker to the engines specs, than to read some wild claim of an oil manufacturer.

My old OMC V4 75HP ran 50:1. (pint can per 6 gallons) It was early
70s.

May be a difference with water cooled engines like an outboard compared to an air oiled like a chainsaw. Beats me but I'd think that 50:1 is pushing it on any engine.
30:1 for me...

Jun
wrote:

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there oil port and if so where and it says use premium gas with 50:1

Not on a '73 anything two-stroke that Ive ever seen You're better mixing 30 or 40:1 with an old outboard and use premium fuel. I've seen too many scored chainsaws and weed eaters because someone tried to stretch the limits on 50:1/ even with the finest synthetic lubricants, there's no room for error at that rate. Best to mix thicker to the engines specs, than to read some wild claim of an oil manufacturer.

My old OMC V4 75HP ran 50:1. (pint can per 6 gallons) It was early
70s.

May be a difference with water cooled engines like an outboard compared to an air oiled like a chainsaw. Beats me but I'd think that 50:1 is pushing it on any engine.
30:1 for me...

The Evinrudes I remember from the 1950s and 1960s called for a half-pint
of oil per gallon of gasolines.

Jun
wrote:

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there oil port and if so where and it says use premium gas with 50:1

Not on a '73 anything two-stroke that Ive ever seen You're better mixing 30 or 40:1 with an old outboard and use premium fuel. I've seen too many scored chainsaws and weed eaters because someone tried to stretch the limits on 50:1/ even with the finest synthetic lubricants, there's no room for error at that rate. Best to mix thicker to the engines specs, than to read some wild claim of an oil manufacturer.

My old OMC V4 75HP ran 50:1. (pint can per 6 gallons) It was early
70s.

May be a difference with water cooled engines like an outboard compared to an air oiled like a chainsaw. Beats me but I'd think that 50:1 is pushing it on any engine.
30:1 for me...

Small air cooled engines seem to go from 32:1 to 50:1 but the
landscapers around here run all of them at 50:1. These are not
consumer grade machines tho.
Every outboard I have had since the 70s has run 50:1. (the OMC, a 7.5
merc and a 40 merc from 1974)

evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Evinrude Model Year? DJ General 2 September 13th 03 09:35 AM
evinrude 4 HP 2 cyl runs rough Jan General 6 August 5th 03 10:27 PM
Help, Evinrude Fleetwin engine problems Guy Noir - private eye General 0 July 20th 03 04:40 AM