John Gaquin

Default What's up with USCGAUX?

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Don't they accompany the regulars, on occasion?

Yes, Auxiliarists can fill certain crew billets on CG vessels. And
sometimes regular CG people patrol aboard CGAux vessels. In either case, it
is only the regular Coast Guard that holds any legal enforcement authority.
The CG is proscribed by act of Congress from using the Auxiliary in any law
enforcement or armed interdiction function. In point of fact, the carriage
of weapons by Auxiliarists aboard Auxiliary vessels is strictly forbidden.

The CG is more than willing to provide regular CG training to any
Auxiliarist who is willing to volunteer. In some cases, such as crew
positions aboard vessels, certain physical standards and constraints must be
met, and the Auxiliarist must meet the very same training standards as
regular CG personnel. It is made clear that a concrete commitment of time
must be made. The CG doesn't want to invest in training just to have
someone waltz off after a couple of months.

There are Auxiliarists filling CG positions on a part-time basis in a wide
variety of job functions.

William G. Andersen

Either Capt Lou is trolling or there are two jerks he the one that told
him he's an employee, and him for believing it.

"Capt Lou" wrote in message
As a member of the USCGAUX, I thought I was a civilian volunteer. Turns

out I
am told that I am a USCG employee. I thought employees were paid

personnel!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou

every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Greg

I volunteer with the Florida DEP but I am not confused that I am an employee
just because I do some of the same things employees do.

Gould 0738

At the end of 2003, The Department of Homeland Security (that oversees the
USCG), made some enormous changes in
policy regarding USCGAUX membership.

The Auxiliary could probably be used by
terrorists, posing as volunteers, (anybody check out Capt. Lou,
lately?...joking),
to get closer to variouis military targets or installations than if they were
simply part of the general population.

You jump through a lot of hoops to join the
AUX today, it's not a simple matter of being willing to work and showing up to
volunteer.

Through the USCG "Operation Patriot", the USCGAUX must now be ready to assume
secondary strategic responsiblities for defending ports and harbors during a
time of war. USCGAUX members have been divided into two broad categories:
"Direct Operations" and "Operational Support".

To join the USCGAUX today, you must leap the following hurdles if you aspire to
be in the "Direct Operations" category.

1. Fingerprint check
2. Complete background investigation on a level sufficient to qualify the
applicant for a "Secret" level security clearance.

(applicants failing the background check will not be given any reason why they
have been rejected, merely told that the check was "unfavorable".)

3. Must sign a statement allowing the USCGAUX to run a credit check.

"Operational Support" category persons are only required to submit to the
fingerprinting and the credit checks.

For additional details:

http://www.cgaux.info/g_ocx/publicat...st-550-03.html
Peggie Hall

Gene Kearns wrote:
Going back to the original poster's position...... that he was somehow
informed that he was an "employee"....

.... is it your take that these "Auxiliarists filling CG positions on
a part-time basis" are employees?

CGAUX members are not CG employees...the AUX is the civilian volunteer
arm of the CG. Except that the AUX has NO law enforcement authority,
only SAR responsibility, on the water they are the CG while on
duty...and when on the water, they must operate under orders and
guidance from the CG, even on inland waters where there is no CG
presence. And like any other gov't agency, the amount of record keeping
and paperwork that must be turned into the CG is humongous.

If you're old enough to remember the Civil Air Patrol during WW II, the
CG Aux is a very similar organization.

I was an AUX member for a number of years, btw.

--
Peggie
----------

Capt Lou

At my flotilla meeting, I was told by the former National Legal Officer that CG
auxiliarists are no longer civilian volunteers.
I was kind of taken aback by this so I asked "what are we then?" His answer to
me was "employees." I was kind of shocked!

I then went home to review the Auxiliary's web site, and although it still
claims in its history section that the Auxiliary is made up of volunteer
civilians, the new Homeland Security background form that must be completed
clearly asks for your CGAuxiliary employee number:

This is what the form reads:
"You will be asked for several peices of information in order to activate your
account:

Your seven (7) digit Auxiliary Employee ID.

This is not your old member number (which are now obsolete), and does not
contain any unit number. Your Employee ID can be found on your new member card.
Your Employee ID will act as your login username for the eDirectory, so it is a
good idea to have it memorized."

"If you are unsure what your Employee ID or Zip Code is in AUXDATA, consult
your FSO-IS. We can not give out this information for security purposes."

Furthermore I found the following langauge in the latest CGAuxiliary Manual:

"A member of the Auxiliary while assigned to duty shall be deemed to be a
Federal employee for the purposes of the following:

(1) Chapter 26 of title 28 (popularly known as the Federal Tort Claims Act).
(2) Section 2733 of title 10 (popularly known as the Military Claims Act).
(3) The Act of March 3, 1925 (46 App. U.S.C. 781-790; popularly known as the
Public Vessels Act).
(4) The Act of March 9, 1920 (46 App.U.S.C. 741-752; popularly known as the
Suits in Admiralty Act).
(5) The Act of June 19, 1948 (46 App. U.S.C. 740; popularly known as the
Admiralty Extension Act).
(6) Other matters related to noncontractual civil liability.
(7) Compensation for work injuries under chapter 81 of title 5.
(8) The resolution of claims relating to damage to or loss of personal property
of the member incident to service under the
Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claims Act of 1964 (31U.S.C. 3721).
(c) A member of the Auxiliary, while assigned to duty, shall be deemed to be a
person acting under an officer of the United States or an agency thereof for
purposes of section 1442(a)(1) of title 28.

Now what do you think?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Harry Krause

Capt Lou wrote:
At my flotilla meeting, I was told by the former National Legal Officer that CG
auxiliarists are no longer civilian volunteers.
I was kind of taken aback by this so I asked "what are we then?" His answer to
me was "employees." I was kind of shocked!

I then went home to review the Auxiliary's web site, and although it still

Then you should quit in protest.
John Gaquin

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Going back to the original poster's position...... that he was somehow
informed that he was an "employee"....

.... is it your take that these "Auxiliarists filling CG positions on
a part-time basis" are employees?

Not in the least. Absent a response from Capt Lou, I presume he's referring
to some new documents in the CGAux world that contain a reference to
employee numbers, or employee application, or some such thing.

In the last year, there have been substantial upheavals in the procedures
the CG uses to ensure compliance with new security requirements on the part
of and concerning Auxiliary membership. Over the next few years they will
be implementing fingerprinting and background checks on members. Involved
with these new procedures are numerous forms (of course!) and in the
interest of efficiency, I suppose, the CG just lifted standard forms from
other agencies for their own purposes. One of the form, for example, is
remaining from the DOT, even though the CG has for a year now been under
DHS. Several of the forms that I've seen make reference to "employee
numbers", or to "...information contained in your employee application...",
etc. In fact, the CGAux membership information system on computer refers to
member number as "Empl ID". God knows why.

There are some few and intermittent times and circumstances when an
Auxiliarist may be treated by the CG in the same manner as a regular CG
member, but the bottom line is that, afaik, Auxiliary members are *not*
considered to be employees of the CG in any legal manner at all.

JG

John Gaquin

See my response to Lou below

John Gaquin

"Capt Lou" wrote in message

[...]

I made reference to this in my response above to Gene, when I said "...There
are some few and intermittent times and circumstances when an Auxiliarist
may be treated by the CG in the same manner as a regular CG member..."
There's nothing new in the quote above, but they've apparently codified the
status of Auxiliarists while operating under orders, for purposes of
liability coverage. The CG lawyers have been batting this conundrum about
for about three years now. Apparently, this is their solution. They
consider us "employees" for purposes of liability coverage when we operate
under orders. Maybe housing and exchange privileges are next.